Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2008, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

okay...here's the comparison at my lesco vs.home depot. i dont spend a lot at either...but the per bag comparison is as follows:

LESCO DEALER: 19-0-06 w/ .10% Dimension $29/bag.

HOMEDEPOT: 19-0-07 w/.15% Dimension $24.97/bag

That seems like a big difference to me...especially in the AI %!!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn-Sharks View Post
I think if Lesco is selling at the home repo and people in here are saying it a lesser quality then lesco is stupid for doing it....The home owner has more power to bankrupt a company with a bad word of mouth spreading like wildfire faster then any lawn company ever could..Just my opinion! but im sure someone will try to start an arguement

No different than JohnDeere offering their piece of crap mover at Home Depot to compete against teh MTD line.

I am not saying that the store quality is bad...just not professional grade! That only makes sense!

How could Lesco sell cheaper to the public then to us when we are buying in large quantities!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They can offer better pricing because, the homeowner buying one bag is not the customer they are giving better pricing to, Home Depot is. How much do you think they buy in a year compared to any of us.

I read an identical thread about this last year, and the Lesco Rep that used to be on here confirmed, its the same stuff... also, you can get that 19-0-7 15%A.I. from your Lesco Store.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
No different than JohnDeere offering their piece of crap mover at Home Depot to compete against teh MTD line.

I am not saying that the store quality is bad...just not professional grade! That only makes sense!

How could Lesco sell cheaper to the public then to us when we are buying in large quantities!
because they arent selling to the public, they are selling to Home Depot who buys a LOTmore than you do. then the pricing is out of lesco's hands

it's NOT inferior product,it's a labled and regulated industry - so just read the labels!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
They can offer better pricing because, the homeowner buying one bag is not the customer they are giving better pricing to, Home Depot is. How much do you think they buy in a year compared to any of us.

I read an identical thread about this last year, and the Lesco Rep that used to be on here confirmed, its the same stuff... also, you can get that 19-0-7 15%A.I. from your Lesco Store.
Very good point!

From what I have seen at the stores...I bought my LESCO fert at about 50-66% of the price of Scotts (depending on the step)! I have yet to see Lesco in our stores around here yet.

Again, make sure it is the same size bag etc. If it is a 40# bag....its going to be cheaper! Maybe it is a 50# also...I dont' know. I would just check everything really close.

If its the EXACT same thing....make HD your supplier. I probably would....if its still Lesco fert and the same quality, analysis, SCU, SGN, consistency etc!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it could vary from area to area, but I haven't seen comparable products at the HD's around here - close, but not the same. Price on the other hand has always been higher at HD than what we get at Lesco. It may be lower (at HD) than some peoples' price structures or individuals (homeowners) (at Lesco). But then again, we are at about a 150 ton a year pricing.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I guess it could vary from area to area, but I haven't seen comparable products at the HD's around here - close, but not the same. Price on the other hand has always been higher at HD than what we get at Lesco. It may be lower (at HD) than some peoples' price structures or individuals (homeowners) (at Lesco). But then again, we are at about a 150 ton a year pricing.
Runner

I have seen different blends at Home Cheapo that the Lesco store didn't carry. At one time Home Cheapo was carrying a 13-3-13 palm fert with full minors that Lesco didn't carry. The Lesco store did have a 13-3-13 without all the minors for the same price. A customer showed me a bag that he got from Home Cheapo and I liked the minor package that the lesco store didn't have at that time.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Runner

I have seen different blends at Home Cheapo that the Lesco store didn't carry. At one time Home Cheapo was carrying a 13-3-13 palm fert with full minors that Lesco didn't carry. The Lesco store did have a 13-3-13 without all the minors for the same price. A customer showed me a bag that he got from Home Cheapo and I liked the minor package that the lesco store didn't have at that time.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, for the person that said homeowners could bankrupt Johndeere/lesco I have this to say if youv'e been in this business even a tenth as long as some of us you would know lesco's business model was to avoid homeowners at all costs and not even try to market towards them until the last couple years of existance, number two home depot generally buys 2-3 pallets each round per store so the answer is no they don't get an awesome price for quantity.
They are able to work off of rebates and afford to sell at cost to show the stock holders volume they do it everyday with almost everything they sell.
And lastly I can't believe people are still using .10 dimension, I mean in this part of the country to get half decent control single app= 5,000m2/bag and split app about 8,000m2/bag. Dow Agri continues to change thier "calculator" every year based on continuing university studies and the future looks totally out of whack, I mean crazy rates for the future, we saw this happen b4 when Dow came out with Team, Dimension was the replacement and the rates were low, I think the first time I used Dimension the rate was like .07 or something look how it's changed, I won't even show up on a property without atleast .19-.21 and I don't have to carry all the weight of the guy with the .10 and the sagging tires.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I called the DEC a few years ago about the H/D line of Dimension b/c in NY it is a RUP if the A/I is .07 or greater, the homeowner should not be able to touch dimension. WELLLLL H/D had a .15 on the shelf. The answer that DEC gave me is that it is ok b/c the bag we buy says "For Professional Use" Lesco conveniently left this wording off the bag at H/D. GO FIGURE, a way around the law to make a buck, Frank Fescue would agree completely

Alot of the product H/D carries is the same or very close to what we buy. Why? Do you think that put more or less dust in one or the other? It is from the same plant people. Instead of 19-0-6 they make 19-0-7. I worked at Lesco before and it is no different, YES H/D gets a better deal and passes it to the customer, 3 pallets per store multiplied by how many stores? Way more than all of us together probably would buy. They mark it up and it may or may not be cheaper than what we pay.

I just bought a pallet of 12-12-12 do you really think it is any different than 14-14-14 that the service center sells? But I am not complaining on this one b/c they "found" the pallet in the back. They had to "dispose" of it and it was cheaper to sell it to me than to have the DEC get rid of it. No clumps and perfectly good except for a little dust.

Here is something off topic what I paid.
One Pallet of 12-12-12
50 bags
Total w/ Tax $0.54

Walking out of H/D with a Sh*t eatin grin

PRICELESS

If you dont believe me I will post a copy of the receipt when my secretery tells me where she hid it