Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2008, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

How many of you aren't struggling?

It seems all I hear about on here is people are struggling. Let's hear from you guys that are doing well. I don't really need to hear about how much money your making, it would just be nice to hear some success stories for once. I'm getting sick of all the low baller talk and people griping about the economy, it's just depressing reading half this stuff sometimes.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's not a sucess story but I have all the work I want when I advertise. My problem is finding the energy/labor (mine) to do the type work people want. I have no desire to do most of the grunt labor some lawns require, so I stick to mowing/aerating/shrubs and maybe some small mulch jobs in the winter.

I think the key is what your market is. Here we service "professional" types in suburbia where there is not a high "good old boy" to yuppie ratio. So there seems to be a shortage of RELIABLE lawn guys. Plenty of guys who can't show up on time or make a bad first impression, but people seem scared off by them. Guys operating in an area with lots of blue collar workers but few customers will have to struggle more with pricing and such.

I have other sources of income I can devote more time to when not doing this, so I work as much as makes sense and don't have to scrap the bottom of the barrel and I take on only the jobs that best fit my niche' (mow/blow/go/in and out fast = $60-$70/hour on-site w/ no hassles) . Doing full service would be too fatiguing for me and too hassle-filled. I would advise others to consider a secondary income source too, as this is a seasonal business with ups/downs and trying to make it something else takes your net income per hour rate way way down I've found. I can't compete with immigrants being paid $10/hour picking up sticks and weeding and mulching beds or digging holes and planting stuff, so I don't try to. I can't compete with big companies on huge properties, so I don't do it.

If you find you cannot get enough work at reasonable rates, it may just be your market isn't a great one. I know South Florida sucked in terms of rates for the conditions.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok then how about all this damn rain that just won't quit? I can't get any work done, my trailers are all ****** up since all the boards on them are so soaked. The boards, all swelled up and now even if the rain were to quit I wouldn't even be able to get my mowers on the trailers to mow. Oh how about all the landscaping jobs that I picked up for this spring? Its to wet to get any topsoil or to bring in any rock and forget about doing anything else since the ground is so saturated if you tried to dig out anything it would be a completed mess. I'm sure business will be better than last year even with the way things have been going with price shoppers, high gas prices and yes lowballers who will work for almost nothing. At least on the landscaping side of things it looking pretty good but mowing for the most part is in the toilet.

Last edited by Charles; 03-30-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: language
Old 03-30-2008, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Kyle View Post
It seems all I hear about on here is people are struggling. Let's hear from you guys that are doing well. I don't really need to hear about how much money your making, it would just be nice to hear some success stories for once. I'm getting sick of all the low baller talk and people griping about the economy, it's just depressing reading half this stuff sometimes.

hey good post! It is depressing, I was thinking the same thing. Especially since Im just starting. Hope to hear from more who have all the work they want, plus
Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Things are going really well for me. My phone started ringing in about mid-January. Being I'm only fifteen, I can't take on as much work as I would like right now, but I manage with what I can do.

I'm building a strong reputation for quality and detailed work, and that's where I'm getting my customers. People don't call me for cheap mowing, they call me because my work is fantastic compared to others in town.

I am continuing to pick up clients from people who are sick of the drunk in town coming and cutting their yard, and making it look horrible. Lowballers don't bother me a bit, being people call me for quality work, not cheap labor.

This should be a good year! I just wish gas would go down a little bit!

-Mitch-

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
Lesco Fertilizer Equipment
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 03-30-2008, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724 View Post
Ok then how about all this damn rain that just won't quit? I can't get any work done, my trailers are all ****** up since all the boards on them are so soaked. The boards, all swelled up and now even if the rain were to quit I wouldn't even be able to get my mowers on the trailers to mow. Oh how about all the landscaping jobs that I picked up for this spring? Its to wet to get any topsoil or to bring in any rock and forget about doing anything else since the ground is so saturated if you tried to dig out anything it would be a completed mess. I'm sure business will be better than last year even with the way things have been going with price shoppers, high gas prices and yes lowballers who will work for almost nothing. At least on the landscaping side of things it looking pretty good but mowing for the most part is in the toilet.
wow. that sounds almost exactly like what indy kyle DIDN'T want to hear. pretty amazing that even when you ask NOT to hear it, you still get it.

anyways, business is looking good here. picked up two or three new accounts last week, and already have had enough work to keep me busy and then some. mowing is not in the toilet for everyone.
5x8 Carry-on Open Trailer

John Deere 727 Z Trak 54
Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48 WB
Snapper Pro 48 Hydro WB
Honda 21Ē HRR216
Honda 21" HRC216
Toro Proline 21" Suzuki 2-stroke

Stihl FS-90 R String Trimmers
ECHO PE-230 Stick Edger
STIHL HL-90 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 028AV Chainsaw

Echo Blower PB-650
Echo Blower PB-755

Lesco Spreader 705699

Giant-Vac Leaf Loader

Last edited by Charles; 03-30-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Outside of the rain... and my regular job hrs messing me up.. I've been pretty busy. Just the basics thou...finishing up spring clean ups tomorrow.. this week starts my regular mow season.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are doing well as well I do hear alot of complaining on here too. You are going to have that thou. I donít have great days all the time trust me. We are to a point now were we can relax during the winter and just wait on the snow to fall "IF ANY'. We were luck to have a good winter this year, which raises our finance this year to save or grow this year. It is a never-ending battle you have to come up with an operating cost and stick with it. The price of everyday living is going up everyday. You need to compensate for that. I am off the soap box now. Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markahurley View Post
wow. that sounds almost exactly like what indy kyle DIDN'T want to hear. pretty amazing that even when you ask NOT to hear it, you still get it.

anyways, business is looking good here. picked up two or three new accounts last week, and already have had enough work to keep me busy and then some. mowing is not in the toilet for everyone.
Oh now, don't get me wrong, business is good and I still have many good paying lawn customers and have picked up some real nice landscaping jobs so this is going to be a good year. Not everything is a bowl of cherries though, this year people want their lawn mowed for less than last year and there are people who are willing to do it, NOT ME! Rain, Rain and more rain. I'm starting to understand how Texas felt last year. I can't get anything done as of today, not much anyway and my trailers are all messed up because of all the rain.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Your right Indy Kyle, Its either read about how bad everyone is doing this year because of the economy, or how Big W just signed up the whole state of Pennsylvania, because he is the best sales person in the whole world. This is just how some people work. I would be surprised if these pessimistic people didn't just blame it on their "luck". I can just hear it now, "Just my luck". People need to realize that you make your "luck" and it just not something your stuck with. Our business is doing really well this year by the way.