Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Opening up a nursery

My landscaping company has been able to obtain a nursery in South Carolina. We primarily will sell palm trees from our nursery as well as having crews for new construction,irrigation, lighting, etc.. My question is really simple: what are the difficulties for a new nursery to face in it's first year?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this an existing nursery? Some probs I had were: No customer awareness of location, cash flow, knowing where to find plant material, cash flow, knowing how much stock to purchase, cash flow. Seems like when I stock something customers have been asking for then they don't want it and come up with something else I don't have.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

new location

it will be a new a new nursery but we do have an existing one about 25 minutes away. We will be the only place selling palms in a 30 mile radius. you know any good companies to deal with (fertilizer, books, stakes, etc..?) thanks for the quick reply
Old 03-30-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Im two years in to it and you said it all... cash flow, and getting what the customer buys, instead of what they say they want to buy..
Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Good companies to deal with

U guys know of any good companies to deal with if I stock up with stuff like fertilizer,books,tree care products,etc..? I also want some free posters to hang up in the office. Not to sound cheap
Old 04-02-2008, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have BWI here. I wouldn't say they are great to deal with but they get the job done.......sometimes. And their truck delivers here once per week.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just thinking a little......The retail nursery business has been very frustrating for me. I for sure have not mastered it. I started as a landscape contractor and did well. The contract side has financed the nursery and still is. Going on 4 years in nursery and sales still not what they need to be. Every year is better but...not great. So maybe it is me that should be asking for advice. On the other hand another way to look at it is the contract side is much stronger with nursery in place. Gives people a sense of legitimacy I guess. I believe it lets us comand higher prices for service side. So anyone got any advice for boosting sales?