Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't call a company by that name, it sounds too redneck to me.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

would you take your car or truck to a one stop oil place that has the name "get-r-changed", or a restaurant with the name "Get-r-cooked" or a dentist with the name "get-em-cleaned" or a barber with the name "get-r-cut". We btch about how as an industry on the whole we get shat on, and not taken seriously, and you have a name like "get-r-cut" and we wonder why we are not taken seriously as an industry/career.

a catchy name is nice. but I had MJS Landscaping in Florida....and it was fine....never had any yellow pages ads never had any flyers, and I had three crews running.

The name isn't everything, buts it the first thing a customer sees. While it may be humorous i'm sure some clients will think of larry the cable guy and and wonder, Do I really want a fat, ignorant, loudmouth, redneck working at my home? Don't know about you, but I would not want it at my house, and even if you aren't a fat, obnoxious redneck, you name says you are...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

It is the connotation along with bad grammar. People DO JUDGE you on appearance, quality, and yes....your vocabulary. Like it or not, anything associated with a redneckesque sound will probably be scoffed at by your upper middle through upper class population to whom you may be marketing yourself. Here is a tip...no one wants to see a bunch of guys working without their shirts, no one wants to see you smoking, and no one wants a slack-jawed-yokel doing any work on their property.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Aside from the bus name, can I ask why you are charging $12/week? And then on top of that, you are offering a $3 discount if they commit for the summer. So front and back mowing, edging, trimming and blowing for 9 bucks. WOW!!! The name, as others have mentioned hurts this industry, but the lowballing aspect destroys us......
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I could sub out all my yards to you for 12 bucks and get RICH!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

i dont actually cut everyone for 12$ im not a moron. i only had two lawns that i cut for $12. one was a trailer lot. yeah laugh it up get-r-cut cutting in a trailer park. nice image. and the other was a ladies front yard. they both were an easy under 5 minute job.

and if your living in detroit youll understand why you might actually have to go as low as 12$ a lawn. everyone is a undercutter here and if other people are not doing it to you the customer sure as hell will try. anything to save a lowsy buck

appreciate the comments. Thats kinda the thoughts i was getting when I was passing out flyers... these people wont take me seriously.

its a heck of a winter name though

get-r-plowed
redmax edger
redmax krvb300
gridiron proslides
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To each their own but unless its my next door neighbor I dont unload my trailer for less than $35. As far as the flyers go, its still a bit early. I only have about 30% of my clients calling this year so far.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And I hate the name "weed wacker"
Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Every time I hear that tired old saying get- r- done I cringe. I don't personally feel that a company name can help you much but they can certainly hurt you. This one is probably hurting you a little.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$12/cut is not lowballing if that is the going rate in his area. There are several neighborhoods in my town where the lawns are only 2-3000 sq ft, in fact I live in one of them. If you guys think you can charge $35 to mow these lawns, go ahead and try it. My minimum is $15 and I can do up to 5 in an hour with a 21" no problem, mow, trim and blow. That doesn't mean I mow a half acre for $15, that's as crazy as mowing 2000 sq ft for $35.

BTW, I would use a different name, joke names make you sound like a fly-by-nighter and will probably keep you from getting some of those lawns that you want.