Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-02-2008, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey everyone not to hijack this thread but I named my company Lawns Done Right. Is this a bad choice or should I stick to it and see what happens.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekalb lawn man View Post
Hey everyone not to hijack this thread but I named my company Lawns Done Right. Is this a bad choice or should I stick to it and see what happens.
i hate it. how about Lawns Mowed Right?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I just can't believe how long this thread has gone on....and on...

The name of your business doesn't matter, except when it brings your company disrepute through negative connotations. In other words, lawns done right or chris' lawn service or we mow it or similar names are fine.

That said, get r cut is total hillbilly or at least that is what is connotes. Like I said the name of your company doesn't matter, except when it really brings down your business.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

i agree with lush, also i think you should narrow down your services your in to many places focus on one bussiness at a time .this way it looks like you will do anything for a buck.some times less is more
Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It may sound entertaining to some but, professionally speaking your name is corny. If, I was a potential customer I would have a hard time taking you serious. Now, like someone else said, a name should not stop you from making money. However, it may have some limitations.

DJ-
2007 EverRide Warrior 54" Deck w/25 HP Kawasaki
2007 Toro 36" Turbo Force, T-Bar/15 HP Kawasaki
2005 Toro Proline 48" Float Deck w/15 HP Kawasaki
Few Echo and Sthil Handhelds and Backpack Blowers

Matthew 6:33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well"
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Lawns View Post
It may sound entertaining to some but, professionally speaking your name is corny. If, I was a potential customer I would have a hard time taking you serious. Now, like someone else said, a name should not stop you from making money. However, it may have some limitations.

DJ-
Are you speaking of Get r Cut or Lawns Done Right. Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel a name is the first impression a future client gets of you and i dont think this name is very appealing.

Not unless your going to show up with a sh1t truck, holy clothes and a dip of skoal in your lip...
Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraZZmaZter View Post
I feel a name is the first impression a future client gets of you and i dont think this name is very appealing.

Not unless your going to show up with a sh1t truck, holy clothes and a dip of skoal in your lip...
I always thought landscapers had to wear a certain uniform. What I always saw them wearing in my area is cut-off camo pants, a gimme shirt from a cigarette company, work boots and the ever-present bandanna tied over the head like a biker.
I resisted this at first, and tried to dress slightly better, so that I looked like a professional and not a criminal. But I will admit that I tried the bandanna thing, even though I despise them, only because I have very active sweat glands around my hairline, and it always runs in my eyes.
I'd like to get some shirts made up this year. Last year I happened to find some bright orange t-shirts at China-Mart so I picked some up and made them my unofficial uniform. So if I get some shirts made this year I'll probably go with bright orange. Even though I probably look like a highway worker. Bright lime safety green is nice too.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes, change the name, but something else has to be going on for you to lose over half your customers in such a short period. your always going to lose a few but you also should be gaining some.

lco's are never going to get a lot of respect, its just the nature of the beast, but if you want more business simplifly things, easy to remember name, just mow (you can do more but just advertise for mowing) keep your shirt on and things clean and as rust and dent free as possible.

www.greenmountainlandscape.com
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you have a long way to go........

first the name appeals to lower income middle class people that get into trailer park humor....sorry, but it is true

next $12.00/week????? that is a ridiculously low price you will NEVER have any decent business charging those prices

you list home repairs, drywall, etc..... It comes across more as a handyman thatn a landscaper. I have NEVER seen a successful landscape company perform those types of services....

instead of being OK at a lot of things, become great at a few things. this will get you further in business.

i have been in this business for 18 years and we now do just over $1M/year... so i have been around long enough to see that your pamphlet and name are killing your growth potential...
bobcat T200
way too much other crap