Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Commercial Push Mower

im looking for a new push mower thats self propelled but ive never really looked into commercial push mowers whats the difference with a commercial grade push versus a husqvarna bought from sears?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my guess will be quality
Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been looking into a commercial 21" for this season as well and from what I've seen, while there are many very well built homeowner models available, the largest difference in the commercial 21" are better engine (in many cases) which equates to a longer life and easier starting, thicker mowing decks, and overall more solid construction. Look where the handle connects to the mowing deck and where the wheels mount. These are places that will frequently break or bend on a homeowner model but seem much more solid on the commercial. In most cases the transmission is considerably more durable as well. Most of the features available on commercial models are available on homeowner models, but not built as tough. I was quite hesitant to spend 1k for a 21" as opposed to finding a decent homeowner model at 1/3 of the price, but after looking at the two, I am confident that the commercial will outlast the homeowner models long enough the recoup the price difference.

For the record, I'm going with a Honda HRC216HXA
Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quality quality. Comercial will last you for years to come. One thing I have found atleast for me ( I mow on the side of mountains a lot) Rear wheel drive is a must. Front wheel drives are pretty much useless.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

exmark makes a 27 inch push mower for about that price (i think on the price)
Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 21 husqvarna res model. It is a POS. We have used it one year. It doesn't cut good at all and where the wheels mount is weak. When you look at them just grab the handle and push some weight on the wheels, front and back and watch them flex. I told the dealer I would give it back to him. It isn't his fault but I was explaining to him how bad the design of that mower was. I have an old (9yrs) residential 21" yard machine that is ten times the mower today. If you are not going to buy commercial, buy the cheapest thing you can get so when you quit using it you won't be out of a lot of money.

If you are going to use the 21 at most properties that you mow I would seriously consider the snapper because of price for commercial quality. I believe you can get a good one starting around 700-800. Or if you want to spend 1200-1500 look at the exmarks etc. I have no experience with these models but based on my research that is what I will do next time.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snapper all the way, get the Robin engine if you still can.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sears has a new 21" commercial with the 6 horse kawa that comes on exmarks, toros, snappers, etc. It looks pretty damn good for $500.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&K View Post
I have the 21 husqvarna res model. It is a POS. We have used it one year. It doesn't cut good at all and where the wheels mount is weak. When you look at them just grab the handle and push some weight on the wheels, front and back and watch them flex. I told the dealer I would give it back to him. It isn't his fault but I was explaining to him how bad the design of that mower was. I have an old (9yrs) residential 21" yard machine that is ten times the mower today. If you are not going to buy commercial, buy the cheapest thing you can get so when you quit using it you won't be out of a lot of money.

If you are going to use the 21 at most properties that you mow I would seriously consider the snapper because of price for commercial quality. I believe you can get a good one starting around 700-800. Or if you want to spend 1200-1500 look at the exmarks etc. I have no experience with these models but based on my research that is what I will do next time.
The Snapper HiVac is a good choice for a homeowner...and me as well...I love mine.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 03-31-2008, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&K View Post
If you are not going to buy commercial, buy the cheapest thing you can get so when you quit using it you won't be out of a lot of money.
Well said! I have a cheapie $99 mower that I use on one of my accounts to mow the roadside ditch. The wheels fall off the mower long before the engine even sputters and it is by no means a quality engine on that thing. I replaced it last year (price jumped to $129, yikes) and didn't feel at all bad about it. If I had spent more money, say $200 - $400 where the average residential mower is priced, I would push that mower as long as I could before replacing. This way, if I get two seasons