Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Deep Root Feeding

Hello all,
I was wondering, do any of you offer deep root feeding? I have never offered this service, but have been asked by a few clients. I priced out the equipment I would need, but I have a few questions.

1. Is my Hypro D403 pump up to the job?
2. About how many PSI will I need to run at?
3. How do you charge for this service? What is the industry standard, by the bush/tree? time? quantity of product?
4. I have researched what ferts to apply, I think I have some very good ideas for what would be effective, but has anyone found some great product?
5. What injector do you have, and do you like it?

Thank you for any help.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use a Hypro d10 (10 gals/min max), not sure about d403.
300-400psi with a high presure hose
I like Davey tree care fert applied at the 2 year rate 2X / year
Made my own probe with a JD9 spraygun and 1/2" tubing. Not sure were I got the tip
Got parts from www.mnwanner.com
get $50-$100/300sq feet of trees or shrubs

Don't bother with trees taller the a one story house. imo

Good luck
Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Saw a guy last year drilling holes and pouring fert in. Jerk

Gives us all a bad name
Old 03-31-2008, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, an extremely overated and overpriced horticultural consulting firm told a "landscaper" to cut radial trenches out from the trunks of the trees and put granules in the trenches. I know I am surrounded by hacks here by how they will not do liquid anything, no matter how inappropriate a granule is. I have a tree feeding needle made from 1/4" ss tubing that I use for applying Merit or solution grade fertilizers. Cutting trenches was amateur on several levels. Roots are damaged, the lawn was damaged, there was an inordinant expenditure of labor and lastly, why is the material being applied in a way that an amateur could. When I do Merit via low volume soil injection, there is no indication that anything was done to the tree, other than the pests dying a month after the application was made. A "landscaper" would want to apply granules under the tree or no better, pour a solution onto the surface where the public could contact the pesticide.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

good scam to run "deep root feeding" totally uneccisary but a lot of people care for their plants. so get a small backpack and make it look like you've hooked your ground plugger into it and pump h2o into the mulchbed. charge $70 per k
Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For a pesticide treatment, injection is the right approach I believe, but for fert feedings, I will be using WoodAce Wood Acre tablets. Because I have a sandy loam that leaches fast, this method may be my best option. They claim it will slow release and will feed for a year and a half minimum. 14-4-6 with trace elements. It's pricey, but at least until I get set up for injections, these seems a good technique and product to use for feedings given my soil make up and it's fast leaching characteristic. It's low salt and does not break down from mocrobial bacteria activity, but by hyrdolysis.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fescue View Post
good scam to run "deep root feeding" totally uneccisary but a lot of people care for their plants. so get a small backpack and make it look like you've hooked your ground plugger into it and pump h2o into the mulchbed. charge $70 per k
speaking of rank amateurs
Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngrassguy View Post
I use a Hypro d10 (10 gals/min max), not sure about d403.
300-400psi with a high presure hose
I like Davey tree care fert applied at the 2 year rate 2X / year
Made my own probe with a JD9 spraygun and 1/2" tubing. Not sure were I got the tip
Got parts from www.mnwanner.com
get $50-$100/300sq feet of trees or shrubs

Don't bother with trees taller the a one story house. imo

Good luck
Thank you very much for a very helpful post. I am fairly good at metal fabrication, it didn't even occur to me to build my own injector Looking at them, it is an easy enough piece, just need to buy a tip.
Thanks for the good info.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTamer View Post
Hello all,
I was wondering, do any of you offer deep root feeding? I have never offered this service, but have been asked by a few clients. I priced out the equipment I would need, but I have a few questions.

1. Is my Hypro D403 pump up to the job?
2. About how many PSI will I need to run at?
3. How do you charge for this service? What is the industry standard, by the bush/tree? time? quantity of product?
4. I have researched what ferts to apply, I think I have some very good ideas for what would be effective, but has anyone found some great product?
5. What injector do you have, and do you like it?

Thank you for any help.
I run between 300-400 psi. I use Lesco Arbor-Green, liquid iron and a lesco deep root feeder. I'll add Merit if the client has insect issues or if the trees are in a new sub, I'll add some myco. Pricing depends on tree size and any issues involved with it. Also put a disclaimer about sprinkler systems, invisible dog fences, etc. cause you will find a sprinkler line eventually.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

keep in mind that on trees and shrubs, deep roots are the exception rather then the norm. and the feeder roots on trees are in the top 12-18 inches of the soil and for most shrubs, 6-12". also keep in mind that the root zone of most trees's shubs extends 2-3x beyond the drip line.

IMO
deep root fert can be a scam....if the tree/shurb is healthy normal granual or foliar aps are sufficient....When a tree or shrub is stressed, then soil drenches or even maujet can aid in the recovery......Also keep in mind that granular fert/herbicide combo's can hurt the tree's roots as well...