Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
keep in mind that on trees and shrubs, deep roots are the exception rather then the norm. and the feeder roots on trees are in the top 12-18 inches of the soil and for most shrubs, 6-12". also keep in mind that the root zone of most trees's shubs extends 2-3x beyond the drip line.

IMO
deep root fert can be a scam....if the tree/shurb is healthy normal granual or foliar aps are sufficient....When a tree or shrub is stressed, then soil drenches or even maujet can aid in the recovery......Also keep in mind that granular fert/herbicide combo's can hurt the tree's roots as well...
Marc

I tend to agree with you, but on my Sandy soil, slow release granules don't leach as fast. The rhizophere is that top 12 and in some case 18 inches of top soil where even the mighty oak tree has 90% of it's roots.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there anything that can be done with oak wilt. My father in law has a huge tree in his back yard and it is killing over.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkeepers76550 View Post
Is there anything that can be done with oak wilt. My father in law has a huge tree in his back yard and it is killing over.
Green

Oak wilt is generally caused by a fungus. The big problem comes in the expense of a systemic fungicide cost verses effect.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been root feeding woody ornamentals since 1979 (ChemScape). "Deep root" is inaccurate cuz most feeder roots are fairly shallow. I laugh when I see homeowners putting a Ross root feeder down 2 or 3 feet below the surface. Two - six inches deep is enough depending upon what you're feeding. We use "ChemLances". Fert depends upon the plants or soil type. Micronutrients are needed in many instances. We run about 400 psi on average. We use a D-25 hydracell pump (tanker truck) or a D-50 Hypro pump (pickup truck). We price jobs off the original "ChemScape" manual (ChemScape was North America's largest tree/shrub service, and I still have an original manual) We use N,P,K plus up to 8 micros (synthetic-organic). "Agro-Culture" is a good source for the micro's. Westheffer sells ChemLances -- featuring a J-D9 gun.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I notice that nobody is talking about pricing...
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
I notice that nobody is talking about pricing...
Depends on how I feel and if the customer is nice or not
Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I've been root feeding woody ornamentals since 1979 (ChemScape). "Deep root" is inaccurate cuz most feeder roots are fairly shallow. I laugh when I see homeowners putting a Ross root feeder down 2 or 3 feet below the surface. Two - six inches deep is enough depending upon what you're feeding. We use "ChemLances". Fert depends upon the plants or soil type. Micronutrients are needed in many instances. We run about 400 psi on average. We use a D-25 hydracell pump (tanker truck) or a D-50 Hypro pump (pickup truck). We price jobs off the original "ChemScape" manual (ChemScape was North America's largest tree/shrub service, and I still have an original manual) We use N,P,K plus up to 8 micros (synthetic-organic). "Agro-Culture" is a good source for the micro's. Westheffer sells ChemLances -- featuring a J-D9 gun.
Ah yes. Chemscape. Part of the Chemlawn services Corp back when they actually stood for something. Techs had college degrees, had many people in support staff that were experts in their field. We made Jack VanFossen a lot of $. I can still do the chemlance grid in my sleep!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassmechanic View Post
I run between 300-400 psi. I use Lesco Arbor-Green, liquid iron and a lesco deep root feeder. I'll add Merit if the client has insect issues or if the trees are in a new sub, I'll add some myco. Pricing depends on tree size and any issues involved with it. Also put a disclaimer about sprinkler systems, invisible dog fences, etc. cause you will find a sprinkler line eventually.
can you mix mychorrazae w/ merit with out killing off some spores?
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
can you mix mychorrazae w/ merit with out killing off some spores?
First off, I LOVE your photo. Unless I'm mistaken, that looks like a homeowner-dropspreader-special to me. I actually stop and take pictures of these when I see them. They never cease to amuse me...

Second, I don't have any proof of my theory, but I can't see how Merit would hinder the myco at all. Merit isn't a toxin except to specific insects... can't see how it would adversely affect dormant fungi...
Old 03-31-2008, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Comments appear after your text in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTamer View Post
Hello all,
I was wondering, do any of you offer deep root feeding? I have never offered this service, but have been asked by a few clients. I priced out the equipment I would need, but I have a few questions.

1. Is my Hypro D403 pump up to the job? YES
2. About how many PSI will I need to run at? 150PSI is average.
3. How do you charge for this service? What is the industry standard, by the bush/tree? time? quantity of product? Do a few time+materials until you "get the feel".
4. I have researched what ferts to apply, I think I have some very good ideas for what would be effective, but has anyone found some great product?PHC's 27-9-9 w/Rhizobacteria = Awesome plant response
5. What injector do you have, and do you like it?N/C

Thank you for any help.
I did offer these services years ago. Still a licensed Arborist but now I just sell the supplies. As a result though, I take a lot of Arborists out to try new materials, consult, etc. The results we've been getting from the PHC 27-9-9 are nothing short of amazing.