Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

How long do i wait to mow sod

How long should i wait to mow sod and I'm pretty sure i'll have to push it. But it was laid in late january early feb. theres no irigation system and should i fertilize it? if so when?
Sorry so many questions I never dealt with fresh sod

Kristopher
Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

wait until you cant pull it up anymore then cut it high and yes you might want to push it one or 2 times , then put rider on it , keep it cut high , if it has no sprinklers and is not getting alot of water make sure you keep it high or it will fry ! drop it down gradually .5 to 1 over 4 or 5 cuts and yes you may have to mow it more then once a week
Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good post. I dont mean to highjack your thread (everyone answer him first!!!!!!!)
I have seen multiple cases where people laid sod over dead grass or dry spots and now the sod is 1-2 inches higher then the rest of the lawn. Will this ever smooth out or was it done wrong?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenf View Post
Very good post. I dont mean to highjack your thread (everyone answer him first!!!!!!!)
I have seen multiple cases where people laid sod over dead grass or dry spots and now the sod is 1-2 inches higher then the rest of the lawn. Will this ever smooth out or was it done wrong?
I laid my sod 2 days before hurricane Katrina hit us down here. All the area very close to the house i tilled and smoothed before i laid the sod, but we got in a hurry when the news hit that we were going to be in the direct hurricane path. I tossed the last pallet of sod out all over preexisting grass/weeds and it is still higher then the rest. The edges of the sod will eventually round off, so its just like a bump in the lawn instead of a sod square sticking up, but its definitely not the way it should be. Been cutting it with a riding mower ever since, the extra weight on it hasn't done much.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Minimum 14 days after laying it in warm weather. But also check if it's rooting good if its not rooting very goog then water it more and give it anouther week.