Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Atlanta area contractors?

Hey guys...First of all thanks for all the good advice I pick up reading some of your posts. I currently work for myself in NJ...considering a move to Marietta to live closer to family. Just looking for some honest opinions on availability of work in the area and if anyone knows if prices are comparable to those charged up in this area? Thanks for any input.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Everything is slow right now has been for about 6 months now and its not looking any better no time soon from what i hear.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

It probably depends

Are you starting out or a small operator? If so, you can probably develop a niche and make some hay fairly quickly. Atlanta isn't as slow as some of the midwestern and northeastern areas of the country. As much as I'd love to keep a secret how great it is to work in the south, I'd encourage you to give it a try. By the way,,,while you may not be able to charge as much as you are used to in NJ, the cost of living in the southeast is much,,,much,much less than it is in the northeast.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will leave it at this, Atlanta is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US besides Austin, Texas. As for prices, there are so many people from all over the world living here who will pay the same as they would in L.A., Miami, NYC....etc.....So dont cheat yourself. I will say building as slowed down a lot just like everywhere else, but Atlanta is still growing and growing very fast. We are super busy, and are booked solid with no openings until June, so take that how you want to. I am a firm believer that if you dont have enough work, then maybe you the owner is doing something wrong and might need to go back to the drawing board. Good luck, and be sure to do your research.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Well Im really busy but all my friends who were working for builders have folded I have been doing this 14 years we do highend residental maintenance and landscaping we dont really work for builders so I guess it s what kind of work your targeting.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

atlanta is booming!!

Let me tell ya the Landscaping market in an around the Atlanta area is booming! Atlanta is full of people with money!! Those people can afford Landscaping an they dont mind paying for the services. My parents live in Fayettville an its a gold mine over there, they bought a nice Bloodgood Jap Maple from a retil nursery for 350 an then that nursery contracted the planting out to a Landscaping company an they charged 400 to install it!! With that knd of pricing a man can make big money down there!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with that point. We do 90% High end residential, and 10% comm. We are currently contracted out with a builder, which has been much better then I could have ever imagine. The demand this year has been much greater then any other year, but I think the growth we experience last year really has a lot to do with it. We have a few medium to large size jobs booked, and are swamped with basic installs such as pine straw and mulch.

14 years is a lot of experience, glad to know other are busy as well. I think this is going to be a record breaking year with sales, but I think Gas prices are going to keep it from making a difference in our net. Good luck, and the weather is going to suck tomorrow so make sure you have the rain suits ready....
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddboygeorge View Post
Let me tell ya the Landscaping market in an around the Atlanta area is booming! Atlanta is full of people with money!! Those people can afford Landscaping an they dont mind paying for the services. My parents live in Fayettville an its a gold mine over there, they bought a nice Bloodgood Jap Maple from a retil nursery for 350 an then that nursery contracted the planting out to a Landscaping company an they charged 400 to install it!! With that knd of pricing a man can make big money down there!
I grew up in Fayetteville, before it was booming the way it is now. But its amazing that people really are spending, and paying for quality service and not going the cheap way out. I think another thing is that there are so many people from other states moving here that are use to paying on the high tier of the pricing range that they dont mind paying whats being proposed. Dont get me wrong, we have had some proposals laid to rest because our prices were much more then what they were looking to pay, but I will not do it for less then I am proposing until this rush slows down and I need to keep the schedule full, but until then I will continue to charge on the higher end for everything because of the quailty and detail we will provide.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I price things accordingly!

Its all supply an demand!!! If I cant make the money that I need from a job I price it so high if they do call me I make awesome profits! Its nice when you can pick an choose your work! Its all about the market that you market yor services too! I prefer high end residential re-dos!! Thats where I have made the best profits throughout the years !
Old 04-07-2008, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies....I just spent a week down there and was amazed at how simple things like groceries were incredibly cheaper than they are here! So even besides real estate, the cost of living is clearly much less down there. I guess the potential problem is that if wages are proportionately lower too, then there is no benefit to moving there for cheaper living, right? I know of people in other fields of construction who have tried Florida and found that despite the lower cost of living, they couldn't make ends meet because they couldn't charge enough for their work.
I am a small company, myself and two employees. We do residential hardscapes and landscapes/lawn maintenance. Hopefully if I make the move, I can find that niche and make it work down there. Seems like a beautiful area to work/live.
Thanks again for the replies.