Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

what is this weed? treatment?

It is about 1.5" - 2" right now, grows very dense. Almost looks like very small clover with small yellow flowers. It is taking over a centipede lawn. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Last edited by HLM86; 04-03-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Kinda a fuzzy pic, but it looks like oxalis. I don't know it's life cycle down there. It is way too early for it up here. General three way broadleaf herbicide should kill it.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

yellow medic, its real similar to clover but grows from a single taproot and sprawls. I use 2-4D, doesnt work great, but works.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like oxalis to me as well. Something with 2,4-D. Weed Whacker or another product should work
Old 04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM86 View Post
It is about 1.5" - 2" right now, grows very dense. Almost looks like very small clover with small yellow flowers. It is taking over a centipede lawn. Thanks for any help.
Have you had Dimension (Pre emergent) put down yet? Has your turf greened up yet? If yes, wait a few weeks then apply Image according to label. DO NOT APPLY IMAGE TO DORMANT GRASS Do not use a typical 3-way mix. You will kill that centipede deader than a doornail. Image will kill it quicker if grass is not growing well. Best shot would be to use Atrazine. ("Image with Atrazine") Check it out at Lowes. It's very weak but follow directions closely. It won't get it all this time of year and may even yellow it a bit. Check out Southern Ag's Weed Killer with Trimec. It is lower in dicamba than other and you don't have to buy such a large quanity. If you're still dormant, use the Atrazine. Transition time is very precarious. You may have to wait.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Transition time is very precarious. You may have to wait.
That's the truth. I'm dealing with a centipede lawn on one of my full maintenance customers that I think I stressed out by spraying too much during transition. It was weak last summer when I took over the account from a myriad of problems and I thought it was in decent shape by fall but it wasn't as good as I thought. It struggled out of dormancy and I got a little happy with the speed zone and it's looked like crap for a month. Fortunately today it looked like it's starting to turn the corner and the homeowner has been understanding.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Black Medic. Any broadleaf herbicide w/ 2,4-d will do the trick i.e. weed b gone.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would wait until the centipede has fully recovered from winter. Then feed the lawn with a suitable formulation. Then hit that with 1/2 oz of Blade or Manor(metsulfuron). You may add Octane or Quicksilver if you have it. I maintain warm season grasses, centipede is not particularly tolerant of Three-way or Trimec and forget about using Turflon or anything containing triclopyr. It is too bad Lontrel is gone, turf tolerance was exceptional when targeting legumes, asters and polygoniums.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get the impression this is a homeowner not a business. Is that correct? If so your options on herbicides are limited. Thats why i said weed b gone. Just wondering.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM86 View Post
Hi Im a newb here. It looks like this forum is for landscapers. Im a home owner. I have this same weed right now in my centipede front yard. I have been very busy and spring crept up fast before I could put down a pre-emergent. I also wanted to know what I as a home owner could buy from lawn & garden store, not big box stores they dont carry warm season supplies here Va. That would kill weeds in my lawn.
Also two years ago I completely graded and seeded my back yard with Tiff-Blair Centipede seed. The first year was ok. The second summer was very established. I aerate in early spring and spot treat weeds. This year I see allot of undesirable grasses how do I get rid of them?