Register free!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Power Rake vs Dethatcher - Same??

What is the difference between a power rake and a dethatcher. Is there any? I'm looking for something to churn up all the dead grass I have in my yard so I can reseed and someone suggested a power rake. The guy at my local rental place said that they have a dethacher and that it's the "same thing as a power rake".

Is he right?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i thought about a power rake, but after looking at them i think it might do a lot of damage to my st. augustine.
20' landscape trailer - 6.5x12 landscape trailer
5x10 utility trailer
3- 60" lazers, 1- 72" lazer 1- 36" W/B
15 shindaiwa handhelds, 3 echo saws
36" stihl chainsaw
2 fs100rx's, 2 br600 magnum FS94R, KM90
'92 long 2360/6'king kutter w/7.5x18 trailer

lawn sprinklers save your grass, fire sprinklers save your -----
Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Power rakes and dethatchers are the same machines different names. Mostly they will have flail or spring blades. If a fixed blade is available I would get it. A fixed blade does less damage to the grass plant and will cut all the way down to the dirt. Flail blades are made to break away when they hit something hard like thatch and they tend to damage the top of the plant. Unless the thatch is a real problem like over 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick I would aerate the devil out of it and put down some lime. Much less damage to the lawn. Dethatchin is a last ditch effort and is very labor intense.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking at using it to get rid of a large area of dead grass prior to seeding. I'm hoping it will also loosen the soil enough so that the seed will "set" better.

Would it work for this purpose. I'm thinking a few passes at deeper depths each time...
Old 04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i probably have a 1/2 inch of thatch, my house was built in 1948 and has probably never been dethatched, the previous owners didn't take good care of the lawn, i'm just thinking that a dethatcher with flail blades will chop my st. augustine to shreds beings it creeps along the ground.
20' landscape trailer - 6.5x12 landscape trailer
5x10 utility trailer
3- 60" lazers, 1- 72" lazer 1- 36" W/B
15 shindaiwa handhelds, 3 echo saws
36" stihl chainsaw
2 fs100rx's, 2 br600 magnum FS94R, KM90
'92 long 2360/6'king kutter w/7.5x18 trailer

lawn sprinklers save your grass, fire sprinklers save your -----
Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Mow the grass at the lowest level, then powerake also at the lowest level and collect the dead grass, you'll most likely have way less grass, if any at all and good seed to soil contact, however, with a aerate done also, even better seed to soil contact.

Is this dead grass all in the same area, or is it splashed throughout the lawn?
Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you get the right machine you will be able to turn the soil some. Probably have to go over it several times and remove most of the debris.

St Augustine grass, with .05 inch of thatch should be ok to go. I would not rip it up. But you can verticut St Augustine every 2 to 3 inches with good results. .05 inches is normal if not low for thatch on St Augustine. I have seen it over 3 inches thick and doing well.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Power rake!!!

Hey man i had a power rake and i did 130 acres of seeding on Ky lake and it means buisness when you hook it up and drop it in the dirt!!! I wouldnt suggest a power rake unless you are completely starting over with the yard!!!. it is perfect for rocky soil that has alot of junk in it! It will wind -roll all the rocks and sticks for you creating great soil for your seed and or sod!!! It is big and heavy duty so not the thing unless you are starting over with the yard.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pictureperfectlandscaping View Post
Hey man i had a power rake and i did 130 acres of seeding on Ky lake and it means buisness when you hook it up and drop it in the dirt!!! I wouldnt suggest a power rake unless you are completely starting over with the yard!!!. it is perfect for rocky soil that has alot of junk in it! It will wind -roll all the rocks and sticks for you creating great soil for your seed and or sod!!! It is big and heavy duty so not the thing unless you are starting over with the yard.
I think you are talking about a tractor pulled root rake am I correct?

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 04-05-2008, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

power rake!!!

well it is kinda the same thing! I guess1 I put it on the front of our 80 horse asv posi trac machine! ( a skid steer on tracs)! It was haevy duty and it really did good for what we needed! i just thought it was a little to heavy duty for what you were saying you were do9ing!!! is there a smaller one????