Register free!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

slit seeding questions

Have a customer that needs alot of grass seed put down, is slit seeding the way to go and how do you usally price this type of work? Are the slit seeders easy to manuver? I have never used one as you can tell so any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Slit seeding/powerseeding is good if your trying to place seed into a existing lawn, and its more precise in seed placement. Just make sure you go in two different directions with half the reccommended amount of seed in each direction, this makes certain a even dist. of seed. As far as being easy to manuver, that depends on the make of the seeder, but most are pretty easy to use. Read the label on the seed bag, and use the rate for overseeding, generally use less seed, unless of course its a new lawn install, than may be better to broadcast. Pricing wise, most guys charge per sq.ft, I just look at the lawn, know what and how much I'll need and go from there.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigw View Post
Have a customer that needs alot of grass seed put down, is slit seeding the way to go and how do you usally price this type of work? Are the slit seeders easy to manuver? I have never used one as you can tell so any help would be appreciated.
I haven't used one yet myself, although I bought the Husky version of the BlueBird power rake which I also got the seed box and delta reel for, which makes it a slit seeder.... not as good as a dedicated slit seeder, but good enough. I will use that feature when I switch from the spring tine reel to the delta reel in the fall. As a power rake, this unit is a bear to use. Lots of arm power needed.

But, my advice is to use a starter fert with Siduron, aka Tupersan. It's the only pre-M for crabbgrass that can be used when seeding as of now in PA and NY. You will be stirring up a lot of dormant crabgrass seed when you slit seed. Siduron will keep the CB down until you can follow it up with a straight pendi app in 7 weeks or so, as the Siduron does not have a very long residual. Make sure you charge for it.... Siduron (Tupersan) is expensive, like twice what a combo fert with pendi would cost.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Every situation is different...but with that said, you can never go wrong with slice seeding.

When seeding, I slice seed about 98% and the other 2% is done in conjunction with aeration.

Slicing is work (if done with the little 20-30" seeders), but it gives you the best seed to soil contact and seed placement.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. Seeding has become a very large part of my business.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same here...if I can ever be of any help.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is the best way to do it! Did 34 acres of lawn with this seeder last year.

I am not big on manual labor!

Got me a new ride last week for my seeder!
Attached Images

Last edited by rcreech; 04-05-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is just awesome. NICE horse!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy Crap Rodney, you are doing well for yourself. That looks like one sweet way to over-seed. Do you also have a small walk-behind for tight areas? Do you do most of your seeding in the fall? I have had miserable results last year seeding in the spring unless I put the sprinklers out with the timers. To ask customers to water the lawn is useless.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Rodney,

cmon now, and protect yourself and extend the "roll bar" I know you will, but I couldnt resist. That is a sweet ride but I think a RED tractor would look better (ha-ha)
Old 04-06-2008, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
Holy Crap Rodney, you are doing well for yourself. That looks like one sweet way to over-seed. Do you also have a small walk-behind for tight areas? Do you do most of your seeding in the fall? I have had miserable results last year seeding in the spring unless I put the sprinklers out with the timers. To ask customers to water the lawn is useless.
Thanks! I do love using the outfit!

The seeder is a great marketing tool in my area! People see the results and how good it does and I get tons of work from referrals. I am not cheap....but they get awesome results the first time.

I have two small units, but only use when I have to. I have a Turfco LS20 and a Lesco 20 self propelled unit.

I use them mostly around trees, around the home and in areas that have small gates.

Personally I seed starting in mid April and go until October. I would rather seed all in the fall....but I wouldn't be able to get it all done and most customers want "instant" results.

I have found you don't tell the customer in April to wait until Aug or Sept to seed. They want a nice lawn for the summer in most cases.

I tell them to water....but if they don't, I will be more then happy to charge them again in the fall to seed again!