Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco vs. Scott's Question

I've got a yard to fertilize on thursday. I have always used Scott's Turf Builder +. I have read a lot about Lesco fert. and was wondering which was better. Is there a burn problem with Lesco? Scott's won't burn, not even if it is in a pile on the lawn. I seen that Lesco was cheaper and wondered if it was just a cheaper product.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCaptain View Post
I've got a yard to fertilize on thursday. I have always used Scott's Turf Builder +. I have read a lot about Lesco fert. and was wondering which was better. Is there a burn problem with Lesco? Scott's won't burn, not even if it is in a pile on the lawn. I seen that Lesco was cheaper and wondered if it was just a cheaper product.
I think you have just answered your question.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The more expensive fertilizers would be used by championship golf courses and by old pro groundskepers at places like Yankee Stadium. Look for a high percentage of slow release--say 50 to 75 percent of the nitrogen. Mehylene urea and IBDU are considered more premium than sulfer coated fert. In any case a fert that matches your needs as given by a soil test, and related to your climate, soil and grass type is better still. Find the best golf course in the state and try to find out what they use. Buy the pro a beer and just listen. LOL!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

At the retail level, which it sounds like that's where you are buying, the Scotts stuff is superior. Lesco seels it's better stuff at their own stores, but then they are darn near as expensive as Scotts is at retail.

The Stotts retail stuff is homegenized, and has a good slow release, but at recommended rates it's still way too much N. That isn't a problem with their straight ferts, just cut the rate down.... it's an issue with their combo products though.