Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-30-2001, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd probobly keep them happy....

If the whole crew could agree on one option or the other, I would go with their prefrence to make them happy. Its one of those little things to set you apart from the competition and help on retention.

1. I'll pay for lunch (time not the big mac like Tony Said) if we grab it and go, or take 10 or 15 minutes to scarf it down, but no longer than that.

2. They could take a 30 or 45 minute real break somewhere and eat, but they have to punch out.

This will make it look like I'm willing to take their unput and make them happy to work with me, but it will also discourage the long lunchbreaks because they won't make as much $$.

I don't like long lunchbreaks myself because if I relax and eat a meal, I don't feel like moving when its time to get out of the chair and hit the road again.

I think you should always give choices for different things like this, but always make the answer you want, the better option and it will work for you in more ways than one.
Old 11-30-2001, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the hardass bunch.
Old 11-30-2001, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

John,

Quote:
Originally posted by John Allin
I'm in the hardass bunch.
Do you think it has to do also with number of employees? Would you feel differently with one or two compared to 30 or 40?
Old 11-30-2001, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's be honest, I think it also depends on the business. If I had 6 crews doing maintenance I would probably feel differently, but then again if I had 6 crews I wouldn't have the control over the type of guys hired either. My guys are hand-picked and like I always tell my wife, without them we are nothing. Yes, I could start over with new guys, but the loss of time would be significant.

I have kicked the idea around of punching a clock to get them in the habit of it for when it might matter more but haven't done it yet. I like my guys HAPPY and they work their asses off for me and never complain so, I'm keeping it this way for now.

This place is great huh?
Old 11-30-2001, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't pay for lunch. I do give them a 15 min paid break. They can either use the break or add it to the 1/2 lunch they are required to take.

I don't like guys getting tired and cranky and maybe dangerously careless. I insist everyone eat between 12-1.

Guys used to write on time cards no lunch, no lunch when we knew they were not working continuously. So we just said we're deducting 1/2 hr lunch everyday, so stop and eat becasue your not getting paid to work straight through. No problem.

If I have a guy work a short day on Sat like to 1 or 2, then he can skip lunch with no deduction.
Old 11-30-2001, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had only 2 jobs that had any substance at all in my life. Several smaller parttime stuff, but only two real jobs.

On the golfcourse, when i was hourly, we clocked in and out for lunch also. We did not get paid for it.

In the parts house, we did not take lunch per se. We ate while we worked. We got paid for every minute on the clock. Less formal.

I can see the advantages to both ways. I really don't know if changing it is the right thing to do for me. I dont think I will get more out of my guys in a day by asking for that 1/2 hour back.

That being said, I can see it being a problem if I add more employees. Right now we are a small happy family, but later......

I can see the value in doing it both ways, I don't see any harm in doing it my way.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:33 PM
Banned

All employees know you're making millions on their backs!( lol)
Most don't understand self employment taxes nor ever will, they do respond quite well to "perks" if you give 15 now & then THEY'LL cover your butt when needed....vs the type who will play dumb and let the chips fall how they will....remember- "you get what you pay for!"
I'm in the give some- get some boat!
Old 11-30-2001, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1/2 hour lunch ... no pay

Dave ...just noticed your other post regarding # of employees.

Yes I think it makes a differance.. Our company ...25-30 landscaping... 4 maintenance ... 50-75 greenhouse(peek time)
Those 1/2 hours would add up in a hurry.

Last edited by kris; 11-30-2001 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

6 to 5 paid lunches are winning by a very slim margin..........
Old 11-30-2001, 04:59 PM
Lawnsite Addict

clock out for lunch, by law we are required to give them a 1/2 hr lunch break un paid. union says 1/2 for lunch not paid.