Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2000, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I am currently looking into a new ZTR.Was wondering if anyone had any exprience with the Scag Turf Tiger.
Old 01-26-2000, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Some people swear by them, some at them. Look around you (summer time) and you will see them all. They sell thousands of them a year and all buyers aren't going to be happy, nor all unhappy. There are lots of mowers out there and if everybody bought Dixie Choppers or Exmark ect ect they wouldn't soon have any competition,which just isn't the case. 61&quot; 25hp Kohler $6699.99 or 61&quot; 23hp Kawasaki $6569. Retro 67 gave me those prices, from a brochure he had. If you have any questions you can find him on this forum or Delphi forum he monitors.<br>Good luck and I guess it goes back to the old Chevy and Ford debate.
Old 01-26-2000, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

jbb51,<br>I agree with your sentiments, but some machines do have an edge over other units. I think Scag belongs in the upper echealon of available mowers.
Old 01-26-2000, 02:56 PM
hall

I bought a 61&quot; Scag Turf Tiger with the kawasaki engine. <p>This machine is very poorly designed. It leaves lumps when it is real humid or even a little damp. <p>Scag made this machine with a shaft drive.. MISTAKE.. It pulls to much horse power. Also, the deck is poorly designed. It is not deep enough. I think this is what causes the clumping. <p>I thought my Scag was the best until I tried the eXamark Lazer Z. The eXmark out performs in every way. <p>----------<br>Charles Keough<br>&lt;a href = http://www.lawnsite.com&gt;http://www.LawnSite.com&lt;/a&gt;
Old 01-26-2000, 04:07 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have talked to two guys that have them and they have both had wheel motor problems. This can also come from getting air in the system when changing oil or filters in the hyraulic sytem or from never changing the filters. This is something I've heard about them that hasn't been posted yet. <br>These Exmarks are sounding so good, I would run out and buy 1, but then I would have to change my name to Lazer, and we can't have two of them. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-26-2000, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Eric- by the looks of the lawns on your site, I wouldn't consider changing. The lawns look awesome. I have a Lazer and love it. Even your great looking lawns haven't persuaded me to change to a Chopper yet...<p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com
Old 01-26-2000, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a problem with Scags walkbehind. The decks were poorly designed and did not cut as expected. After that, I even considered demo-ing a Tiger, but the dealer said the distributor no longer would supply demos for potential customers to try out.....no thanks.
Old 01-26-2000, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Millertime,<br>I'll have a cold one to that! Do you think perhaps Eric took pictures of a lawn cut with a Lazer and posted them on his website?
Old 01-26-2000, 06:19 PM
Banned

Why would anyone want a lawn that looked like that?
Old 01-26-2000, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 52&quot; Scag Turf Tiger and only have found one problem with it. The clutch went on it at 450 hours. But, I am still running the original belts at 600 hours with no wear in sight. It has a nice cut as well. It does not clump when used with low lift blades unless the grass is very wet.