Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2001, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: My Super Sucker

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongmd
Just wanted to throw a picture of my rig in.
Nice rig. Pretty much the same setup as myself and others in my area. I have found that the front-mount vacuum works best for my company.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lawrence stone

Or what I do with my quasi-classic 1981 RWD Chrysler LeBaron
I guess with the LeBaron that may be too much weight and sway bars would be needed.

I haven't had ANY problems!!:blob3:
COL 3:23
<a href = http://www.lawnsite.com/banners/tlclogo.jpg>
Old 12-01-2001, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Strongmd ...

hmmmmmmm ... well, firstoff, how can you possibly see with that tube going up in front of your windshield?! Seems like a pretty large driving hazard! Second, how can you clear clogs in such a long steel tube? Seems like a tongue mounted vacuum with a much shorter, bendable exportion tube would be much more effecient .. That's a pretty long tube, and if you were from around here, that thing would be clogged up in no time flat. And third, do you guys ever compact the debris in the bed? We have a setup similar to Scotty's and it works fantastically ... instead of having the extra long sides, we simply hop up there (maybe once a load) and compact the stuff .. it's really very simple. It's like making wine! And then the truck doesn't feel and look so .... top heavy.

Nice looking though!

StiCK-NInE

Last edited by stick9; 12-01-2001 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2001, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

strongmd's setup is quite common here-even the municipalities used to use this setup before the era of the supervacs by Tarco.

stick9, first off, most of us are tall enough to see over the windshield so vision isnt a problem. With these 25+ hp vac units clogging is non-existant unless you overfill the box then you need to pop out the pipe (its probably 10" or more dia) and clear it. Ive seen guys dump this, its packed in pretty good just by virtue of the force the shreddings are blown into the truck.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi lawnguy!

First off, I wasn't typing about seeing over the machine .. I'm writing about that fat, obstructive tube that is running vertically through the center of the windshield. I don't know where you're from, but in my area, sight obstructions are illegal while operating a motor vehicle. You aren't even allowed to have something hanging on your rearview mirror.

Second ... You mean to tell me that your vacuum will never clog while you're sucking up wet leaves mixed with pine needles and sticks?!? I absolutely do not believe that .. even in the smallest sense. These piles that we face are so tightly packed .. so heavy ... so dense, that you have to put this stuff through (almost literally) one leaf at a time. The debris gets so sticky and gooey ... to get an idea, it has about the same consistency and look of potato salad. And then, not to mention when the sheer windpower of the machine starts turning the water/muck into green snow/slush, which in turn clogs the tube. That's fun too. Nothing better then trying to undo a tube that is clogged with 1 1/2 feet of green snow! I absolutely cannot imagine trying to clear the tube that is used on that setup ... it would be the nightmare of all nightmares. But I guess if you guys don't have these problems ... that's great! We do.

On the third note, after the stuff is sucked up, it is defintely more fine then it was prior to being vacuumed. However, upon further inspection, we determined that for about 2 1/2 minutes of mantime, we were able to double the space of the enclosure by compacting the stuff .. there may be a better way to do it then by foot (it's fun though - I feel like an italian making wine! ) but we haven't found it yet. It just depends on what you want to do .. I guess you could climb into that monster and do the same thing .. ahhhh .. to each his own, I guess. I can give on this one.

STiCK-NinE

man I go on .. I had to shorten this thing!

Old 12-01-2001, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This truck realy sucks
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2001, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man, you gotta suck alot o'leaves to justify the price, plates, and insurance on THAT thing!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It gets used for other things though out the year. Costs the same as a commecial truck. $1600 full coverage
Old 12-01-2001, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey lawrence stone, thanks for the suggestion about the filters inside the vents and it would be interesting to find out the tongue weight. It seems to carry the weight pretty good.

Lawngodfather; What brand trailer vac, engine size and intake hose dia. is that. If you don't mind, how much does it cost. I really like that set up, I debated on doing something like that myself. But in the end, I decided I really wanted to have everything on one truck.

Hey guys, it was exciting to see other leaf removal rigs, thanks for the post.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the exact same set up on my 88 F-350. Built up the sides to 6' on a 9'x7' platform dump. That loader REALLY packs 'em in there !! I have taken the leaf set up off the trucks and have had to put the plow set ups back on...finished leaves last week. We also have a 1974 K 10 with a platform dump (with antique plates!!) set up with a 9 hp. tailgate loader. We have gotten some neat compliments on the antique plates also... We now have the oldest working truck in town, pulls the 10' trailer with mowers, hauls leaves and plows snow. This is my Foreman's truck and he gets a little testy about just anyone operating it.
It's kinda neat to go in and set both trucks up on the same pile and have at it...doesn't take too long and we're gone..$$ in hand.