Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
yeah I have heard some crap out there on trucks, and I'm still young. I do like the sound of the 12 valves.

Are those old first gen dodges better built then the current ones? I have looked at 89-92 1 ton diesels and you can't find many. They do look tough though.
For a normal person such as yourself, and the majority of the people on this site, the 89-93 1st Gen's make great trucks and are as reliable as any other Dodge/Cummins. There strictly business though, not many creature comfort to them, there loud, they ride like a brick, but they get good fuel mileage, there built like tank's, and they're easy for anyone with mechanical skill's to work on.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything, it's a classic as far as I'm concerned. They make excellent DD's or work truck's, but the toughest thing can be finding one to suit your need's. There out there though, just keep looking.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's always funny seeing Ford and Chevy lovers claiming the Cummins is no big deal, it won't last over 150,000 miles, all that junk. I like my Cummins. Is it better than a Duramax and Powerstroke? Haven't owned either one of those, so it's not really my place to say. But from comparing specs, and things like the picture below, I think the Cummins is designed very well. That's not to say the Duramax and Powerstroke are bad. I'd drive either one of them if I found a good deal.

My grandfather's Cummins is a 1995 12v with over 300,000 miles, nothing done to it. Whenever somebody asks him if he likes his truck, he tells them to ask him later in a couple of years. He tells them if it makes it to 500,000, he'll like it pretty good. Oh, it gets 22-23mpg all the time too.

For what it's worth, there was a guy that called in to a truckers' radio program and said he had a 2006 Cummins and 2006 Powerstroke, both purchased new with similar specs. He said the Cummins would out-tow the Powerstroke and get better mileage doing it.

Sorry the picture is so small, but from left to right is Duramax, Powerstroke, and Cummins connecting rods. Found the picture on www.fordcummins.com
Attached Images

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Still TO DATE the biggest slap in the Ford diehards face is the Cummins ISB in their beloved F-650, as a premium engine upgrade Thats been fact for years
Old 01-26-2009, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

The C7 Cat is the upgraded engine the Cummins is the cheap option.

Not many people buy F-650 or F-750 trucks they are not that good.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Let the oil fields or the mining operations have a Dodge and see how long it lasts

Ford trucks are bought by Mining companies and other resource based operations for a reason. For one Dodge has a very unreliable 4wheeldrive system the axle interlock isn't reliable you need manual hubs. Dodge has bad problems with wheelbearings. Dodge uses cheap sheet metal that cracks and fails.

If you are using a truck for offroad use like mining operations don't buy a Dodge if your truck never leaves pavement maybe a Dodge is okay. There are trucks in resource based industry that never see a paved road. Some were bought brandnew took into a Coastal gravel mine where the only access is by boat. Same with forestry operations. The trucks run on rough roads and on sharp blast rock which is hard on tires and beats the h*ll out of the truck.

You Dodge lovers can keep your truck I seen what happens to Dodge truck when used for serious work they fall apart. If you have resource based operations using almost exclusively Ford it must say something and no its not because they are cheaper. Ford is one of the most expensive truck to buy Dodge is always 4-5 grand less even diesels.

I LAUGH so frigging hard when you guys brag about your Dodge working hard. Put it in a forestry bush camp or a mine for a year and see how well it does see if it comes back out of camp in one piece.

You look at some of the older Fords 92-97 F-350 4x4 SRW trucks that have had heavy loads on them all the time the overload spring tips are almost worn right through. The bump stops are worn thin. The F-350 4x4 dually service trucks that haven't seen a day since new with 4000lbs of welding gear on its back since new. These trucks were bought as cab and chassis a steel welding deck was put on then a gas powered compressor along with a 400 amp gas welder and toolboxes. Some of these old Fords are 84-86 and have spent all their life in tough conditions.

Untill Dodge lives up to that which they never have and never will you can't class a Dodge as a work truck.

What resource industries do to their work trucks make tough truck competitions look like a cake walk.
I believe this is a "Lawn Care / Landscaping" forum, NOT OIL FIELD and MINING OPERATION forum. NObody gives a ferrets rump about how they handle down in a mine !!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Soon in 2010 Cat will no longer be in the on-road diesel market, Eat your heart out GR , notice the Cat C7 diesel option COSTS ZERO EXTRA

6.7 & 5.9L Cummins F-650 are the norm
http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...D&mdl=F650+XLT
Old 01-26-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

So I guess Dodge is only meant for light duty use never leave the pavement and never put through its paces. Use the truck for hard work and it falls apart

Oh well keep your Dodge if your scared its not going to stand up to some real work.

Won't catch me buying a Dodge you can't call them a serious work truck seen what happens to them when you work them hard.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I do hope you know nosparkplugs only in the USA is a F-650 even ordered nobody in B.C or Western Canada orders a medium duty with a 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins because they don't have enough power. Also most medium duty trucks ordered don't have a gvw less than 33,000lbs. A medium duty with a 26,000lb gvw is as usless as a bra for a man.

The F-650 is a waste of money why buy a truck that can't haul 6-7 ton.

For one the US gov't doesn't think its citizens are smart enough to drive a medium duty without a CDL. Most companys spec their trucks with underpowered engines because drivers can't drive a truck with real power.

Have you seen what a 5.9 Cummins in a medium duty does on 10% grades let me tell you its frighting to almost deadly. The big problem you run out of gears first gear isn't low enough you crawl up a 10% grade at walking speed. If you try climb a hill in too high of a gear and you have to stop on a hill your done you can't restart because the engine doesn't have and power to get going again.

Now decending the hills is even more scary because the engine is so small it just free wheels. The momentum of the truck will push the engine to over rev. So your going down the hill with your trucks brakes. Have you seen brakes hot enough they catch fire and catch the truck on fire. A exhaust brake is about as good as sticking your hand out the window. You decend the hill in 2nd gear and let the engine peg out to 2500-3000 grand. The motor sounds like its going to throw a rod.

Only someone as that walked out of a mental institution would order a 6.7 in a medium duty or like watching you life flash infront of your eyes.

I think you better get some experience driving a real truck before you comment NSP
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

He guys, guess what? I just got a big C tatooed on my chest!!!!!!!!! Now, I can just rub my chest all night and give the palm sisters a breakHey Gravel Mouse, what about all of the inline 6 cylinders(gas engine) in the older trucks? People swore by them over V8's for years and still do.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a 300-6 the truck was okay but a gutless pig it was good on fuel and thats about all I can say.