Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
the old International truck I drove with the DT360 viberated so bad you couldn't use the mirrors. The truck was so gutless you never lifted your foot to shift kept her pegged and power shifted the 6spd.
The DT360 was a joke of an engine. That's what they've got in one of the county-owned rescue trucks. It stays on the floor all the time. That's not a problem with I6 vs. V8. That's just a problem of not enough engine for the truck. You need a 466 in a truck that big.

I read somewhere that when Ford came out with the diesels back in the day, they wanted a diesel that drove like a big block gas, so they got a big displacement V8. Dodge wanted a diesel that drove like a big rig, so they put a powerful, fuel efficient I6 in the trucks.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
That truck snatch's that load around like it's not their no BS. Hauls it better than the 02 F-350 7.3L CC dually, I also tore the Ford 4r100 out at 35,000 miles towing that tandem gooseneck & Bota Ford POS

The Dodge 47RE has lasted aprox 78,767 miles it's getting ready to go, but it is out living the Ford with ease. I've got $4k in transmission parts in my shop, just waiting to find a good time to rebuilt the 47RE, granted I'm still working the truck I gotta shift the 47RE buy hand but it just will not die. That is proof positive for anyone doubting the dodge A518/618 transmission their not perfrect but built solid, when you get the stock torque converter out, replace it for a triple disk billet $1950 new Raybestos Gen2 blue plate special friction module & kolene steels. I will also be using extra forward frictions in the direct drum, she will be bulletproof, and good for 1,750 lb/ft cummins torque when I get their Then might be traded or retired for personal use only

If I can get the loan here soon I've got my eyes on a 2008 Dodge quad chassis cab 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed G56 manual tranny 4.44 gears for $31.900 too.
We talked about you bashing your old ford...Now Stop it!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What do you guys think of a 1997 2500 with the 12valve? I want the manual transmission and 4x4. I'm looking at replacing my 03' 1500 Silverado. This would be my work truck. Are there any main problems with a truck from this era? Only problem I see is trying to find one thats 4x4 standard cab with the 8ft bed.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
What do you guys think of a 1997 2500 with the 12valve? I want the manual transmission and 4x4. I'm looking at replacing my 03' 1500 Silverado. This would be my work truck. Are there any main problems with a truck from this era? Only problem I see is trying to find one thats 4x4 standard cab with the 8ft bed.
Can't beat a 12 valve, especially one from the 94 - 98 year's. They have the nearly indestructible Bosch P7100 injection pump, that when modified, can flow more fuel than even one of the new common rail engine's. But your worries aren't with power, there with it's ability to work.

Those truck's are very reliable, get good fuel mileage, and have a better ride than the 1st Gen's. Though I agree your biggest problem will be finding a Std cab 4x4 w/ a 5 speed. If all you can find are automatic's, give them a try as well. There not bad at all and the 94's and up have the addition of a locking torque converter, something the 1st Gen's lacked. The 5 speed's are the NV4500, which other than the nut holding 5th gear in the trans coming loose, are a reliable transmission. Check to see if this has been fixed by the prior owner, if not make sure you get it done.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other mechanical issue's, but I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

The 5spds are rare there is only one I know of in my area its a 97 with 5spd the other trucks in the area are automatics like my brothers.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Not a thing! The 12v are top notch bad asses! And sound so fantastic with 5 inch exaust...

Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

With this low sulphur fuel it is tough on the injection system of the older mechanical injected trucks. The bosch pump isn't a cheap pump to replace so make sure the truck you look at has been taken care of. Oh ya if the truck has been messed with ie had the pump turned up etc walk away. Keep the truck at stock power 160-215hp it will give you the best mpg. The 5spd trucks shift pretty short the only modification would be a governer spring kit to get the truck to rev a little higher.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks guys. so you think I can get away with a higher millage Dodge with an auto? I always here the tranny problems for Dodges but never knew what years were the bad ones. My friends 01 2500 was rebuilt three times.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks guys. so you think I can get away with a higher millage Dodge with an auto? I always here the tranny problems for Dodges but never knew what years were the bad ones. My friends 01 2500 was rebuilt three times.
Its safe when you get a cummins auto to be prepared to upgrade it soon.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That 300k miler my grandfather has is an auto, no problems. He doesn't tow much with it since he has a 3500 stake side. It's an auto also and pulls his tractors and skid steer all the time. Those 12v were some great engines. Loud, tons of torque, and good mileage. There was one for sale in town a few weeks ago that I stopped and looked at. It was a 1997 long bed extended cab 4x4 with 150k on it. $9850. Price was a little bit high, but it was in great shape. I thought about trading, because I would like a long bed 4x4, but didn't want to lose a lot of equity in my truck to go to a 2 year older truck with 40k more miles.

www.tomberlawn.com