Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow thanks guys I got some searching to do. My friend found a newer 24V 3/4 ton auto thats suposidly emaculate, its near his house. Its an auto though. He told me that the 12v's are slower and I would have to sink some $ into one to be happy.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Wow thanks guys I got some searching to do. My friend found a newer 24V 3/4 ton auto thats suposidly emaculate, its near his house. Its an auto though. He told me that the 12v's are slower and I would have to sink some $ into one to be happy.
He is right about the 12 valve, you would have to modify the P7100 with a new fuel plate minimal.

The 24valves are stronger from the factory, plug & play is king
Be careful with the 2nd gen 24 valvers ask if he has replaced the VP44 or the lift pump yet. The 47RE auto's are very stout, and will last you; with that said I would not pass up a good 2nd gen Cummins because it was an auto.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You know, getting back to the Ford versus Dodge thing, I just don't know. I grew up a die hard Ford fan because my family drove them. However, all of them literally fell apart at 100,000 regardless of how they were taken care of or what type of Ford you were driving. I never understood that.

I bought a light duty 98' F250 with a 5.4 Triton and wasn't impressed at all with the truck. The engine was gutless and the suspension didn't seem much more than a 1/2 ton. Every time I'd get into the truck, I'd find a spot of chipped paint on the outside. The hood was aluminum and the sides were really thin metal-really poor quality.

When I bought my 03' Dodge 1500, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It seems the trucks most in stock were the SLT with all the power items-it's almost their base model;not many SL models out there. With the Ford, everything is the XL versus the XLT. So, you're already getting a more plush truck from the start with the Dodge.

I went to the largest truck dealer in Ga. today(right down the street) that sells Ford and Dodge and they have rows and rows of trucks including about 20+ used trucks. They know trucks. I looked at several Ford trucks, including some 450's, and everyone of them rattle when you shut the door. They're just like my old 250 with the cheap metal and sound like they have hollow doors with no insulation. It just surprises me to see so many Fords out there when they seem so cheaply built. The F450/550 is a heck of a truck, suspension wise, but it still has that Toys-R-Us body and no options. My Dodge is nice and plush and sounds really solid when you shut the door, even with over 105,000 miles on it. It's all metal too and doesn't have an aluminum hood. I'll take aluminum cans with Coke in them but I want metal with my work truck. I looked at several Fords with a lot less mileage on them than my Dodge and the interior was already showing a lot of wear. My Dodge has one small tear on the back of the center console and that's from kids in the back seat. If not for that, the inside would be perfect. Most people think it's a new truck. The Fords just don't add up. I even liked the Chevy interior better.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

My dodge story goes like this. I bought a brand new 2001 dodge 3500 360 v8. At 3300 miles, the transmission went out. It took forever to fix because the dealership said that the parts were back ordered(something about lots of dodges were having transmission issues). About a week later, I was back at the dealership, because the transmission went out again. The third transmission lasted a lot longer. At 14,000 miles, I decided I wanted a different brand truck. The majority of the work trucks in the Washington DC area are Ford Superdutys. I test drove a F-250 6.0 and loved it. I now have 101,000 + miles and no issues other than routine maintenace.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelance View Post
My dodge story goes like this. I bought a brand new 2001 dodge 3500 360 v8. At 3300 miles, the transmission went out. It took forever to fix because the dealership said that the parts were back ordered(something about lots of dodges were having transmission issues). About a week later, I was back at the dealership, because the transmission went out again. The third transmission lasted a lot longer. At 14,000 miles, I decided I wanted a different brand truck. The majority of the work trucks in the Washington DC area are Ford Superdutys. I test drove a F-250 6.0 and loved it. I now have 101,000 + miles and no issues other than routine maintenace.
Dodge was having tranny problems back in 01' and I think the whole world knows it. Ford was also having head gasket problems and the whole world knows that as well. However, they have both moved on. My Dodge has never even
slipped a gear-I pull 75% of the time(4200# tractor on a dual axle trailer). None of this explains the cheap interior of the Fords.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont understand people that want a diesel but are conserned about it being super fast. I mean if you want a race car buy one. I have a 12v and drive it daily. It pulls what i need it to and get 20+ mpg highway. If i wanted to do a quarter mile in 10 seconds id buy a hot rod but i want a truck to work so i got a work truck. You can tear a truck up so fast you can even see straight trying to make it a hot rod. Example 2007 chevy duramax 1 ton 4 door it has a chip and exhaust its at 40000mi on its third ALLISON tranny. I dont know how much an allison is but i am pretty sure they are very proud of them. It jus blows my mind why people want a 7000+ pound truck and expect it to go a quarter mile in 10 seconds and if it does not then they come on the internet and start ragging on them about their truck is too slow blah blah blah. In my opinon get a soild 12 or 24v cummins auto or manual take care of it and dont tear it up or abuse it and it will take care of you for a long time.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I didn't get rid of the dodge because of the transmission issues. I figured the third transmission was working very well. I got rid of it because I wanted a diesel engine truck. At the time 2004, diesel was about 20-30 cents cheaper than gas, and my dodge, like most v8 gas engines gets horrible fuel mileage.
My F-250 is an XL and does have basic cheap interior. My dodge did have a better interior at the same package level, however, the Superdutys have tow mirrors, recovery hooks and a few other things that either dodge didn't have or were optional. These were some of the things I looked at when deciding on a new truck.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
You know, getting back to the Ford versus Dodge thing, I just don't know. I grew up a die hard Ford fan because my family drove them. However, all of them literally fell apart at 100,000 regardless of how they were taken care of or what type of Ford you were driving. I never understood that.

I bought a light duty 98' F250 with a 5.4 Triton and wasn't impressed at all with the truck. The engine was gutless and the suspension didn't seem much more than a 1/2 ton. Every time I'd get into the truck, I'd find a spot of chipped paint on the outside. The hood was aluminum and the sides were really thin metal-really poor quality.

When I bought my 03' Dodge 1500, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It seems the trucks most in stock were the SLT with all the power items-it's almost their base model;not many SL models out there. With the Ford, everything is the XL versus the XLT. So, you're already getting a more plush truck from the start with the Dodge.

I went to the largest truck dealer in Ga. today(right down the street) that sells Ford and Dodge and they have rows and rows of trucks including about 20+ used trucks. They know trucks. I looked at several Ford trucks, including some 450's, and everyone of them rattle when you shut the door. They're just like my old 250 with the cheap metal and sound like they have hollow doors with no insulation. It just surprises me to see so many Fords out there when they seem so cheaply built. The F450/550 is a heck of a truck, suspension wise, but it still has that Toys-R-Us body and no options. My Dodge is nice and plush and sounds really solid when you shut the door, even with over 105,000 miles on it. It's all metal too and doesn't have an aluminum hood. I'll take aluminum cans with Coke in them but I want metal with my work truck. I looked at several Fords with a lot less mileage on them than my Dodge and the interior was already showing a lot of wear. My Dodge has one small tear on the back of the center console and that's from kids in the back seat. If not for that, the inside would be perfect. Most people think it's a new truck. The Fords just don't add up. I even liked the Chevy interior better.
My god man, This is so off its not even funny. You must be looking at old company trucks or something! Not one of my fords was anywhere close to cheaply built. They all were much stouter than the GM and dodges ive owned. Stop spreading these bad lies. Fords are superbly built trucks, as well as dodge, and some GM's. people wouldnt keep buying these trucks if they were like you described. Now just stop.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclawncare View Post
I dont understand people that want a diesel but are conserned about it being super fast. I mean if you want a race car buy one. I have a 12v and drive it daily. It pulls what i need it to and get 20+ mpg highway. If i wanted to do a quarter mile in 10 seconds id buy a hot rod but i want a truck to work so i got a work truck. You can tear a truck up so fast you can even see straight trying to make it a hot rod. Example 2007 chevy duramax 1 ton 4 door it has a chip and exhaust its at 40000mi on its third ALLISON tranny. I dont know how much an allison is but i am pretty sure they are very proud of them. It jus blows my mind why people want a 7000+ pound truck and expect it to go a quarter mile in 10 seconds and if it does not then they come on the internet and start ragging on them about their truck is too slow blah blah blah. In my opinon get a soild 12 or 24v cummins auto or manual take care of it and dont tear it up or abuse it and it will take care of you for a long time.
I thought the Allison was da bomb?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is from the factory. But you put chips and everything on it, and no, nothing will hold up to what its not programmed to hold up to.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com