Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
I like to Auto's, but I popped a chubber when I test drove that 4500 Dodge Chassis quad cab with the manual 6 speed G56 tranny the L granny first gear was crazy. I am working hard to swing this 4500 truck deal before their price's go back-up
My 05 had that trans, and yes the L gear is awesome! I threw it in low and got out and did a slow walk beside the truck. fantasticness! But the autos are so great now and have a manual selector, i couldnt buy another manual.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-28-2009, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
My 05 had that trans, and yes the L gear is awesome! I threw it in low and got out and did a slow walk beside the truck. fantasticness! But the autos are so great now and have a manual selector, i couldnt buy another manual.
Yah, I hate shifting, and while I was test driving the 4500 my Blackberry rang, so I figured I would try talking on the phone & shifting not that skilled yet
Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
Yah, I hate shifting, and while I was test driving the 4500 my Blackberry rang, so I figured I would try talking on the phone & shifting not that skilled yet
Ha! O yeh that took a few weeks to get used to!! but you eventually adapt.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Thanks guys. so you think I can get away with a higher millage Dodge with an auto? I always here the tranny problems for Dodges but never knew what years were the bad ones. My friends 01 2500 was rebuilt three times.
my '97 cummins with the auto trans now has 179,000 on it. No problems at all.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

M3GA-JR Transmission From Suncoast

Alright 6.7 68RFE guys check this out http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=290

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markam70 View Post
just for the record, ford really cuts the prices in fleet sales to move more vehicles. just because you see fords in these situations doesn't always mean they are the best,......maybe just the cheapest?
Totally agree with this statement ...the deal these people get on these trucks is why they buy or lease them that is the only factor nothing else...they will turn them in a couple years so brand does not matter...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I have become a pretty big dodge fan. My 2004 hemi has been problem free for 4.5 years (I took it from 75k - 142k) and has consistently done everything I have asked it to. Other than maintenance, it has not cost me anything extra.

I bought my 2000 ctd earlier this year and LOVE it. Fantastic mileage (you ford lovers can kiss it when it comes to mileage), more than enough power, and great styling. I was planning to buy a 7.3 powerstroke next and compare the two, but after more research, I have decided to just get another 2nd gen ctd. Fords are terrible on fuel, and while the 7.3 was a reliable engine and the styling of the super duties is desirable, the 6.0 and 6.4 have been disasters.

You can't change everyone's minds, but I gladly share my experience with anyone who is curious.
1996 Ram 2500 12 valve CTD
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
2 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
I have become a pretty big dodge fan. My 2004 hemi has been problem free for 4.5 years (I took it from 75k - 142k) and has consistently done everything I have asked it to. Other than maintenance, it has not cost me anything extra.

I bought my 2000 ctd earlier this year and LOVE it. Fantastic mileage (you ford lovers can kiss it when it comes to mileage), more than enough power, and great styling. I was planning to buy a 7.3 powerstroke next and compare the two, but after more research, I have decided to just get another 2nd gen ctd. Fords are terrible on fuel, and while the 7.3 was a reliable engine and the styling of the super duties is desirable, the 6.0 and 6.4 have been disasters.

You can't change everyone's minds, but I gladly share my experience with anyone who is curious.
Since this is your first Dodge with a VP44 I would recommend getting an after market lift pump and a fuel pressure gauge. If you have deeper pockets a FASS or Air Dog is even better. You need to keep that VP supplied with good fuel pressure or it's going to cost you $1200.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Already replaced those and added some goodies . This truck is awesome. The fuel system seems to be the only weak link in the 24 valve.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
Already replaced those and added some goodies . This truck is awesome. The fuel system seems to be the only weak link in the 24 valve.
Posted via Mobile Device
An Air Dog or FASS is the best thing you can do to better lubricate you VP. Above 2000 rpm's the fuel pressure is noticeably better. I sold my 02' with a VP. It had 4" TBE, HTT 62SS, water/meth, ATS maifold, Smarty, Edge Comp, FASS, F1 1.6 injectors, CFM intake, Spearco intercooler, Con ofe, and some other stuff.

I never got on the dyno after I added the Spearco and CFM but before that I made 450 HP & 983 TQ. In factory rated crank numbers that would be around 520 HP and 1100 TQ.

I should be picking up my 2009 Ram 3500 from the trans shop today. With my Suncoast Mega Jr trans, billet input shaft, billet flex plate, and Suncoast converter installed. With just my Smarty I'll be able to pump it up to close to 450 RWHP and 800+ TQ. My 09' only has ARP 625 studs, DPF delete, 5" TBE, Air Dog, Edge CS gauges, and AFE Pro Dry. Getting the itch to add water injection!

With my factory trans only 65 HP was a safe setting. I tried the 90 HP setting briefly and the converter didn't like it.