Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post

Ford trucks are bought by Mining companies and other resource based operations for a reason. For one Dodge has a very unreliable 4wheeldrive system the axle interlock isn't reliable you need manual hubs. Dodge has bad problems with wheelbearings. Dodge uses cheap sheet metal that cracks and fails.

If you are using a truck for offroad use like mining operations don't buy a Dodge if your truck never leaves pavement maybe a Dodge is okay. There are trucks in resource based industry that never see a paved road. Some were bought brandnew took into a Coastal gravel mine where the only access is by boat. Same with forestry operations. The trucks run on rough roads and on sharp blast rock which is hard on tires and beats the h*ll out of the truck.

You Dodge lovers can keep your truck I seen what happens to Dodge truck when used for serious work they fall apart. If you have resource based operations using almost exclusively Ford it must say something and no its not because they are cheaper. Ford is one of the most expensive truck to buy Dodge is always 4-5 grand less even diesels.

I LAUGH so frigging hard when you guys brag about your Dodge working hard. Put it in a forestry bush camp or a mine for a year and see how well it does see if it comes back out of camp in one piece.

You look at some of the older Fords 92-97 F-350 4x4 SRW trucks that have had heavy loads on them all the time the overload spring tips are almost worn right through. The bump stops are worn thin. The F-350 4x4 dually service trucks that haven't seen a day since new with 4000lbs of welding gear on its back since new. These trucks were bought as cab and chassis a steel welding deck was put on then a gas powered compressor along with a 400 amp gas welder and toolboxes. Some of these old Fords are 84-86 and have spent all their life in tough conditions.

Untill Dodge lives up to that which they never have and never will you can't class a Dodge as a work truck.

What resource industries do to their work trucks make tough truck competitions look like a cake walk.
I have seen all of the Big 3 brand trucks on Ax Men. But they are probably all just posers .
Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

never had a problem with any of my dodge's. Ive had 2 dakota's and a 2nd gen. cummins 2500. I just had to put a new track bar on my 2500 but front end problems can be common on a dodge, plus it was only $125 and it has 200k on it.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nosparkplugs---Travlin'trees---Gravel rat. Three die hard fans of three different brands.

GR---is the axle interlock (not used after '02) really worse than the twin I beam front end?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Let the oil fields or the mining operations have a Dodge and see how long it lasts

Ford trucks are bought by Mining companies and other resource based operations for a reason. For one Dodge has a very unreliable 4wheeldrive system the axle interlock isn't reliable you need manual hubs. Dodge has bad problems with wheelbearings. Dodge uses cheap sheet metal that cracks and fails.

If you are using a truck for offroad use like mining operations don't buy a Dodge if your truck never leaves pavement maybe a Dodge is okay. There are trucks in resource based industry that never see a paved road. Some were bought brandnew took into a Coastal gravel mine where the only access is by boat. Same with forestry operations. The trucks run on rough roads and on sharp blast rock which is hard on tires and beats the h*ll out of the truck.

You Dodge lovers can keep your truck I seen what happens to Dodge truck when used for serious work they fall apart. If you have resource based operations using almost exclusively Ford it must say something and no its not because they are cheaper. Ford is one of the most expensive truck to buy Dodge is always 4-5 grand less even diesels.

I LAUGH so frigging hard when you guys brag about your Dodge working hard. Put it in a forestry bush camp or a mine for a year and see how well it does see if it comes back out of camp in one piece.

You look at some of the older Fords 92-97 F-350 4x4 SRW trucks that have had heavy loads on them all the time the overload spring tips are almost worn right through. The bump stops are worn thin. The F-350 4x4 dually service trucks that haven't seen a day since new with 4000lbs of welding gear on its back since new. These trucks were bought as cab and chassis a steel welding deck was put on then a gas powered compressor along with a 400 amp gas welder and toolboxes. Some of these old Fords are 84-86 and have spent all their life in tough conditions.

Untill Dodge lives up to that which they never have and never will you can't class a Dodge as a work truck.

What resource industries do to their work trucks make tough truck competitions look like a cake walk.
just for the record, ford really cuts the prices in fleet sales to move more vehicles. just because you see fords in these situations doesn't always mean they are the best,......maybe just the cheapest?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondman35a View Post
I have seen all of the Big 3 brand trucks on Ax Men. But they are probably all just posers .
Yeah... I hear ya. At least one poster didn't read the ? obviously...The title to the thread is... "Satisfied Dodge truck owner post"

On another note my neighbor has an 06 ford diesel, and he had a dodge. He told me the other day he's going back to a Dodge next time. My MPG's pulling are what his are empty.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The last tank of diesel I went through just averaged 12MPG while towing 8hrs a day, I'm very happy with that
Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My Dodge has held up better than my F-250. I'll never buy another ford.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

'05 Ram 1500 with the 4.7, very good truck, plenty of power and good gas mileage. I spent $160 on some emissions thing, but nothing mechanical with 41,000 miles.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a 04 2500 dodge ram 3 weeks ago and I have absoluty no regrets. She's very pretty, has plenty of power, and very comfortable to drive. The dodge's are actually rated higher than the fords. but no truck is perfect. I asked my mechanic wich trucks come into his shop the least and he said "they're all pieces of ****". I guess if you use your truck (especially if you plow), you gotta maintain it.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
The last tank of diesel I went through just averaged 12MPG while towing 8hrs a day, I'm very happy with that
I havent had a full tank through towing yet but on 1/2 a tank towing, my 6.0 psd was 11.5 towing a 6.5x16. Thats not to bad. My 94 5.8 would only get 8-9 towing a 6x12.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details