Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dodge Only

My current truck is a 2002 ram 1500 with a 3.7 V6 w/ a 5 speed manual. It has 33,000 miles, and never had a problem with it. Handles and shifts like a bimmer. I have the work interior and the seats are cracking a little now. My father has had many dodge trucks in the past and never had a problem besides the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 that was made in Mexico (POS) Thing would have 2 inches of water in it after a rain. Dealer tried to fix it, instead they just put dents in the body. Dad got disgusted and the dealer gave him his money back and dad bought a loaded dakota.

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Let the oil fields or the mining operations have a Dodge and see how long it lasts

Ford trucks are bought by Mining companies and other resource based operations for a reason. For one Dodge has a very unreliable 4wheeldrive system the axle interlock isn't reliable you need manual hubs. Dodge has bad problems with wheelbearings. Dodge uses cheap sheet metal that cracks and fails.

If you are using a truck for offroad use like mining operations don't buy a Dodge if your truck never leaves pavement maybe a Dodge is okay. There are trucks in resource based industry that never see a paved road. Some were bought brandnew took into a Coastal gravel mine where the only access is by boat. Same with forestry operations. The trucks run on rough roads and on sharp blast rock which is hard on tires and beats the h*ll out of the truck.

You Dodge lovers can keep your truck I seen what happens to Dodge truck when used for serious work they fall apart. If you have resource based operations using almost exclusively Ford it must say something and no its not because they are cheaper. Ford is one of the most expensive truck to buy Dodge is always 4-5 grand less even diesels.

I LAUGH so frigging hard when you guys brag about your Dodge working hard. Put it in a forestry bush camp or a mine for a year and see how well it does see if it comes back out of camp in one piece.

You look at some of the older Fords 92-97 F-350 4x4 SRW trucks that have had heavy loads on them all the time the overload spring tips are almost worn right through. The bump stops are worn thin. The F-350 4x4 dually service trucks that haven't seen a day since new with 4000lbs of welding gear on its back since new. These trucks were bought as cab and chassis a steel welding deck was put on then a gas powered compressor along with a 400 amp gas welder and toolboxes. Some of these old Fords are 84-86 and have spent all their life in tough conditions.

Untill Dodge lives up to that which they never have and never will you can't class a Dodge as a work truck.

What resource industries do to their work trucks make tough truck competitions look like a cake walk.
Man stfu about how great ford is. They all build a decent truck. I would buy any of 'em. this ford is God bs has to stop. How many bump stops have you worn out at your gov't job btw?
Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Let the oil fields or the mining operations have a Dodge and see how long it lasts

Ford trucks are bought by Mining companies and other resource based operations for a reason. For one Dodge has a very unreliable 4wheeldrive system the axle interlock isn't reliable you need manual hubs. Dodge has bad problems with wheelbearings. Dodge uses cheap sheet metal that cracks and fails.

If you are using a truck for offroad use like mining operations don't buy a Dodge if your truck never leaves pavement maybe a Dodge is okay. There are trucks in resource based industry that never see a paved road. Some were bought brandnew took into a Coastal gravel mine where the only access is by boat. Same with forestry operations. The trucks run on rough roads and on sharp blast rock which is hard on tires and beats the h*ll out of the truck.

You Dodge lovers can keep your truck I seen what happens to Dodge truck when used for serious work they fall apart. If you have resource based operations using almost exclusively Ford it must say something and no its not because they are cheaper. Ford is one of the most expensive truck to buy Dodge is always 4-5 grand less even diesels.

I LAUGH so frigging hard when you guys brag about your Dodge working hard. Put it in a forestry bush camp or a mine for a year and see how well it does see if it comes back out of camp in one piece.

You look at some of the older Fords 92-97 F-350 4x4 SRW trucks that have had heavy loads on them all the time the overload spring tips are almost worn right through. The bump stops are worn thin. The F-350 4x4 dually service trucks that haven't seen a day since new with 4000lbs of welding gear on its back since new. These trucks were bought as cab and chassis a steel welding deck was put on then a gas powered compressor along with a 400 amp gas welder and toolboxes. Some of these old Fords are 84-86 and have spent all their life in tough conditions.

Untill Dodge lives up to that which they never have and never will you can't class a Dodge as a work truck.

What resource industries do to their work trucks make tough truck competitions look like a cake walk.
Yeh I hear YA !!That powerjoke 6.0 diesel is one hellava diesel engine(NOT) verses the cummins diesel they put in dodge trucks.Do some research and get back with us
Old 04-12-2008, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some people need to keep their mouths shut. I am a Ford guy but just because they are used as fleet vehicles does not mean that they are the industry gold. Ford has had many blunders in the past: ZF Transmissions, spark plugs popping out for no reason, THE dreaded 6.0 diesel (only good for a boat anchor), front ends that are shot from the factory, just to name a few. Dodge has had its good and its bad, just as Chevy has. They are all good trucks, some have their good points and some have their bad. Dodge does have the Cummins though, a very big plus.
Matthew 17:20 - Have faith and nothing will be impossible.

27hp - Lazer Z , 18hp Lazer X HP
5 - BR600's, 5 - Stihl FS90's
50' TopKick Bucket Truck
A Ton Of Other Stuff

Old 04-12-2008, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 1999 F250 supercab with 7.3 and 6 spd traded it for a 2004 F250 CC,LB 2 wheel drive and automatic tranny loved the truck but HATED the FUEL MILEAGE only got about 10 MPG pulling 16ft landscaping trailer with 2 scag Saber tooth mowers the 99 would average about 14MPG
I found a 2005 Dodge 3500 CC,LB 2 wheel drive and 6 spd tranny and Cummins engine we are averaging about 15 MPG Like the FORD but can not live with the fuel mileage so I now drive a Dodge and am satisfied owner 41420 miles on unit
Old 04-13-2008, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

have had 4 dodges not to many complaints on any of em, usualy just your basic wear items, other then that they have been good to me.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Gold Pro i got a v 10 too, everyone else is always bashing on the v 10. Yes they do like the gas but mine pulls great. Honestly it pulls just as good if not better than my cummins in town, but the cummins will get 20+ mpg on the highway and it pulls alot better at high speeds.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I gotta, say I love my dodge 2500 with the 5.9 cummins it's a 99 with 77,000 miles on it runs like a champ. No real problems with it except but the pumps for the fuel injection system let go the one day both at the same time. But the way i look at it vehicles are mechanical and they will always break and have issues no matter who makes it. I love my mighty dodge and i will definately buy another one when i'm ready.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I have a 1998, 2500 with a V-10. Unfortunately mine was one of the Mexico built ones... The brake system has been giving me fits, have had to rebiuld both rears because of leaking wheel seals, the fronts never seem to be worn out, but the breaking power SUCKS. Mid summer last year my "brake" and "ABS" warning lights came on, but the brakes never seemed to be any worse. I've asked a couple different shops about it, and read online, that more than likely it's a failed sensor and nothing is actually wrong with the brake system itself... I don't know, both shope said they couldn't test for the brake system on their diog. machine.

The rear leaf springs are VERY weak on my truck. I had to have 2 extra leaves added and had the springs re-arched, and the rear still sags a lot with a load of grass.

I have my fingers crossed and knock on wood, a lot, about the transmission... The truck only has about 67,000 miles on it but i've heard that's about the average miles that the mexican built models dump the trans. I'm pulling a 20' trailer, every day with it, loaded with lawn equipment...

Fuel economy is AWEFUL, I was hoping/expectiong to get around 9 to 10, but I get 5 to 6, if I'm lucky. I've tried some of the mods to improve the mileage and they haven't done a thing other than cost more money.

Oh wait, isn't this a thread for people that LIKE their Dodge truck? oops... I can't say as I hate the truck. I think any vehicle that pulls a large trailer daily is going to have some issues. Plus it's 10 years old now, reguardless of the low miles, that's a lot of time on parts. I also don't know the true life it had prior to me owning it. Don't know if i'd rather have a diesel or not, because of the price per gallon, and the inital extra 4 grand in cost.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well i just had the tranny rebuilt last fall at 105000 mi the brakes on mine do sucks but its just a fact of life ive learned to look far down the road and most of my driving is in town so it dont break much over 50 usualy. This truck has been worked hard from day one and i know that but it has been relativly reliable for a 96 model and yes 5-6 is my average and everyone has said thats all you can get no more no less just what it is. They way i look at mine is its paid for and is it worth an extra 20 grand in a new truck thats still gas powered to get 3-4 mi per gallon more? Right now its not to me any way. O ya and as for the rear end being excessivly weak its a dodge thing give up on the re arching and all that junk go with firestone air bags i have on both my diesel and v 10 and they work great also spring for a few more hundred dollars and get the pump and in cab gauge