Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2008, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nosparkplugs, any pics of your truck? I remember talking to you about your tires awhile back. How well are the coopers holding up? What size are you running? Thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1991 dodge bought new in 91. 17 years and still going strong with no major repairs. Its now my leaf/mulch truck with an insert and box. 2007 quad hemi, love it so far. I will only use dodge trucks. In all my years i have never had to do a major repair to any of my dodges. Work horses.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 94 1500 with a 5.9L gasser I'm the 3rd owner, I know not really a work truck. But I'm proud to say its my first work truck. Not really planning on hauling big loads, more or less tools seeing as I'm going to marketing more of my horticultural/design skills. But just went through the first Trans at 177,177 kind of odd but from a original trans (No rebuild, or swap) I'm keeping it around cause when the 94 body style came out I said when I was a kid "That looks cool and I want to own one"

I will eventually get everything moving with mowing, landscaping, and etc next year.

I don't mind owning a ford, dodge, chevy, even a yota. I'm going to take a look at it more of A. What do I need the truck to do? B. What can I afford? I don't really plan on buying anything new for a few years till I start to get this rolling. Plus each has there problems and mechanics are bias, my brother happens to be one and he stands by chevy, (what he allways tell me when we talk trucks and cars) Fords are a pain to work on, nothing but issues, bad lay outs, horrible electrical, and if it wasn't for ford he'd be out of business. Dodge he can't sell on his lot, they are gas hogs, he can't give them away fast enough and ends up selling them at auction, they have issues with them as well but not as bad as ford, and he likes how they sound. At my old job we had a F550, I'm just going to say I renamed it to F5fixme, crank/door/ABS/name a sensor, engine rebuild at 47K, Trans rebuild at 50K, and from what I heard last the rear diff is slipping bad.

To people like Gravel Rat who are the extremists your comparing apples to oranges. We are not miners, drillers, nor loggers. We are landscapers, Lawn Care professionals, Chemical applicators. While there is still sections for the heavier side of landscaping as well but this is primarily what most of us are or got a start in. I can say from my experience that AM General 2.5/5 ton Or Oshkosh built MTBR are the best trucks out there as well but I really don't go shooting my mouth off about what other people or industries are using. Use some common sense a bit and realize not everyone needs a F550 or a International. Ford is the premier fleet truck Because of their discounts such as loyality, fleet discounts, municipal discounts. That is why more are out on the road, its because Ford as a company loads it up as so otherwise they wouldn't have any municipal fleets, or government fleets.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis45 View Post
nosparkplugs, any pics of your truck? I remember talking to you about your tires awhile back. How well are the coopers holding up? What size are you running? Thanks
Sent you a PM
Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have an 03' 1500 with 106,000 and I pull my tractor with it all of the time-no problems!!MPG-I haven't had to fill it since I bought it new!!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got an 03 3500 5.9 with a 6 speed manual. Absolutely love the power and 24 Mpg highway. Over 2.5 years I have had a few things go wrong that have added up to maybe $400, nothing serious. Their is a lady down the street from me who does rodeo all accross the U.S hauling a 36 foot gn horse trailer. She has 895,000 miles on 1997 2 wheel drive 12 valve 5 speed. I'm sure she has went through a few things like clutches and injector pumps but the engine has never had any serious work done on it. I bet nobody can show me a V-8,aluminum head diesel (Duramax or NEWER powerstroke) with that amount of miles.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold86 View Post
I've got an 03 3500 5.9 with a 6 speed manual. Absolutely love the power and 24 Mpg highway. Over 2.5 years I have had a few things go wrong that have added up to maybe $400, nothing serious. Their is a lady down the street from me who does rodeo all accross the U.S hauling a 36 foot gn horse trailer. She has 895,000 miles on 1997 2 wheel drive 12 valve 5 speed. I'm sure she has went through a few things like clutches and injector pumps but the engine has never had any serious work done on it. I bet nobody can show me a V-8,aluminum head diesel (Duramax or NEWER powerstroke) with that amount of miles.
Bs. theyre out there. Ive seen many when i worked at the Ford dealer. There are Duramaxes out there with it as well.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-25-2009, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

When i said I mean NEWER, the 7.3 does not count, awesome engine. I need some proof to believe that a v-8 duramax with aluminum heads will last 900K without ever tearing into the engine. Their just not built as well the cummins.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

www.dieselplace.com Lotsa guys over there with em. I was as shocked as you. But the aluminum heads have bee working fine. They arent as bad as every one thought.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-25-2009, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
www.dieselplace.com Lotsa guys over there with em. I was as shocked as you. But the aluminum heads have bee working fine. They arent as bad as every one thought.
you have been busting my balls, calling BS on the Duramax & aluminum heads for sometime.

Again the common phase's for diesel nuts "How can I made my Powerstroke & Duramax run like a Cummins"? without putting a Cummins in my truck