Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Why do you think every large marine engine is a V configuration.

The reason why inline 6 engines are used in trucks bigger than a P/U is because a V8 is too wide for the frame rails. If you ever looked at a V-8 Mack the 500hp engine it was shoe horned between the frame rails. Look at the 8v92 Detroit. Have you seen a twin turbo C-15 Cat the emmissions motor everything is crammed under the hood.

Just because its a inline 6 doesn't make it better look at the big V-12 Cats the V-16 Cats or the old V-12 V-16 Detroits.

I really like the argument that 6 cylinders are easier to work on okay how many of you work on a brandnew P/U truck yourself. Its not like your doing a inframe on the truck. That argument is done like last nights dinner.

You guys live in a false sense of realty with the small Cummins. For one its a throwaway engine, two it was never designed as a truck engine, three if it wasn't for Dodge buying the 5.9/6.7 Cummins wouldn't have a market for that engine. Paccar is using it but no where near what Dodge uses.

The new 6.7 is a even more throwaway engine with its siamese bore and modified block. You over heat that baby once the block is tweaked.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 94 Dodge Dakota Sport as my play truck and it has 173k on the V6. It has no clunking, ticking noise. I just wish my work truck was a Dodge. Argh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Suck it, Al Gore.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Why do you think every large marine engine is a V configuration.

The reason why inline 6 engines are used in trucks bigger than a P/U is because a V8 is too wide for the frame rails. If you ever looked at a V-8 Mack the 500hp engine it was shoe horned between the frame rails. Look at the 8v92 Detroit. Have you seen a twin turbo C-15 Cat the emmissions motor everything is crammed under the hood.

Just because its a inline 6 doesn't make it better look at the big V-12 Cats the V-16 Cats or the old V-12 V-16 Detroits.

I really like the argument that 6 cylinders are easier to work on okay how many of you work on a brandnew P/U truck yourself. Its not like your doing a inframe on the truck. That argument is done like last nights dinner.

You guys live in a false sense of realty with the small Cummins. For one its a throwaway engine, two it was never designed as a truck engine, three if it wasn't for Dodge buying the 5.9/6.7 Cummins wouldn't have a market for that engine. Paccar is using it but no where near what Dodge uses.

The new 6.7 is a even more throwaway engine with its siamese bore and modified block. You over heat that baby once the block is tweaked.
Siamese boring & Cummins is a Ford diehards new wet dream
You need to go back and research "siamese boring" from a engineering standpoint, not from your personal hate for Cummins 6.7L ISB. Unless your wanting to bore out the 6.7L, then siamese boring actually strenghtness the engine block while increasing stroke & bore. The word "siamese boring" is often misunderstood whether gasoline or diesel engines.

Show me a new Powerstroke diesel 6.0 & newer? you don't have to take the cab off the frame to work on the diesel engine! I will eat my shat.

Honestly lets hope our world economy does not fold, so we can keep this crap going
Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

What I find the most funny most Dodge guys would rather sleep with their Cummins than their girlfriend/wife. No offense but the Cummins lovers are a little off a few chunks of fruit short of a fruit salad. They obsess over a inament object. Mrs Palmer must get used alot when they have the hood up on their Dodge

Sorry the 5.9/6.7 isn't God its nothing special its a freaking engine maybe you guys caress it like a woman. More to life than drooling over the engine

Ohwell when Chrysler finally goes under god forbid what is the Cummins lovers going to do they are going to have withdrawls.

I really don't care I love bugging Dodge owners because they are SO defensive about their trucks. I see it here and I see it in my area guys that own Dodge trucks.

If you want a real Cummins buy a truck with a ISX Cummins then you have something to use your palm for

I really had to laugh at a Dodge nut job the other day I guess he was mad he tried taking off fast the truck couldn't even spin a tire his 08 Crummins just revved up. Sounded like the truck had a 6spd manual.

Cummins loves they have a little cult of deciples all in love a of a engine and willing to spend all kinds of money on it. I'am surprised some of you haven't gone to a tatoo shop and asked for a Cummins C tatooed on your chest.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

But GravelRat you gotta admit a 5.9 with the manual tranny and a straight pipe sounds pretty damn neat. Also saw a 79 F350 with a 6v53 in it man it'll turn heads. But then again sound doesn't mean squat.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I would rather have a 400 Big Cam or N-14 straight piped atleast it doesn't sound like a wet fat being squeezed through a fat womans butt cheeks like a straight piped 5.9 sounds like.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
I would rather have a 400 Big Cam or N-14 straight piped atleast it doesn't sound like a wet fat being squeezed through a fat womans butt cheeks like a straight piped 5.9 sounds like.
TRUE
Old 01-26-2009, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

There was one Dodge it was a old 12 valve boxy body it sounded like a big Cummins it was maybe the exhaust was set up. There is another old boxy body Dodge with twin straight pipes it sounds horrible.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah I have heard some crap out there on trucks, and I'm still young. I do like the sound of the 12 valves.

Are those old first gen dodges better built then the current ones? I have looked at 89-92 1 ton diesels and you can't find many. They do look tough though.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Member

The old boxy body is the 88 to 93 model trucks they had the 12 valve engines those are the trucks the sheet metal viberated. You drove a musical instrument down the road. The engine could be idling and you can see the sheet metal viberate. When the body panels got loose it amplified the noise to a rattle. The noise of a ratting diesel plus the noise of cheap sheet metal made the old Dodges really noisy especially when the box supports that hold the bottom edge of the box broke and it would viberate.