Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Planting Flowers

How do you bid planting annual flowers? how much too?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

by the flat get your flowers wholesale you can make a lot more money. just spend the money and get you lic 2 buy wholesale
Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The going rate here is $30 a flat for Impatiens. I will get about 50 flats of all sorts of stuff, and plant a variety of annuals at each customer's house. Impatiens are cheap, more expensive annuals I charge more for.

The main thing I do is find out what colors the woman of the house prefers. Pastel pinks and purples, or red and white... or yellows and bright colors. Always plant annuals where they are best suited to thrive.... hot mid day summer sun will wilt Impatiens.

Your coooperative extension should have recommendations on annuals that will do well in your area. Mix in some zinnias, Dahlias, coleus, cosmos and then do something unusual... like Nasteriums from seed. Nasteriums are a fave of mine... a packet of seeds cost about $1.50. Very colorful edible (yes, you can eat the leaves and flowers) and it goes good in a salad, and there are trailing, climbing and clumping varities.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Top soil - $70 per cubic yard
Bed Prep and Design - $125
Annuals - $40 per flat with 5 flat min....
*includes fert
Mini chips - $65 per cubic yard

As for flowers, we use a lot of Begonias, petunas, verbenas, marigold, snapdragons, coleus, dusty miller, and celosia....a typical flower bed with have Begonias in the front of the beds, followed by Coleus, and enclosed with Dusty Miller.....I have tons of pics I want to post, but cant seem to figure out how to re-size my photos on my new computer. Good luck and I hope this helps
Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
How do you bid planting annual flowers? how much too?
We bid on square footage of the bed. Summer flowers are generally 10" oc, while pansies are 8". Keep in mind, these are all 3.5-4" sized plants. It also depends on the account and the variety of plant. Some trailing annuals (Wave petunias, verbena, lantana, etc.) can go at 12". However, we also plant 1 gallon accent plants (purple ftn. grass, Canna's, Tropicals) in the beds, so their space has to be taken into consideration. Typically, we will measure all the beds, and sketch them out for our records. We'll come up with a design, and then install them.

As for pricing, we charge $4.75 per square foot. This includes prep, ammendments, installation and fert.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
Top soil - $70 per cubic yard
Bed Prep and Design - $125
Annuals - $40 per flat with 5 flat min....
*includes fert
Mini chips - $65 per cubic yard

As for flowers, we use a lot of Begonias, petunas, verbenas, marigold, snapdragons, coleus, dusty miller, and celosia....a typical flower bed with have Begonias in the front of the beds, followed by Coleus, and enclosed with Dusty Miller.....I have tons of pics I want to post, but cant seem to figure out how to re-size my photos on my new computer. Good luck and I hope this helps
Here is a nice program that can be used to resize files... It is free (with NO spyware). I have used it a couple of years. It runs very quick.

http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm