Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 PM
JShe8918's Avatar
JShe8918 JShe8918 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Thomasville, AL
Posts: 938
Dandelions and Broad leaf control.... Customer want a "weed and feed"???

One of my new customers wants to kill all of the existing dandelions and prevent new ones from coming back. Same goes for all his other broad leaf weeds. I suggested in mid feb. that he needed to aerate and apply a pre m. And he refused. Said that weeds weren't bad in his yard.... LoL. How far from right was he. So now he wants me to apply a weed and feed to take out the dandelions... I am new to the whole idea of fert pre and post m and all. But it is 70 percent rain friday, 60 percent saturday and he would like it to be applied before it rains. Which is fine for a granular weed and feed. But will it work.

Thank you,
Jonathan

P.S. i plan on getting a friend to do it for me who has the proper equip and experience.
__________________
Jonathan Sheehan,
Sharper Image Lawn and Landscape,


"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Hoots's Avatar
Hoots Hoots is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DFW
Posts: 324
Um, nope.

On the weed and feed bags that I have used, they clearly state-Apply immediately AFTER a rain or early in the morning while there is still dew present. It will also state DO NOT WATER for 48 hours.

As far as the prevention, I don't like to aerify and then pre-m, I like to wait another 6-8 weeks to punch holes.
Very intelligent of you to get someone with proper equipment and experience, just make sure he is licensed too. Ask him questions too, it will only help.

Personally, I prefer liquid apps to rid broadleaf weeds etc.
__________________
TDA Commercial Licensed Applicator
Insured
Available for sub-contract fertilization, weed control, Fire Ants and other chemicals
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
tjsquickcuts's Avatar
tjsquickcuts tjsquickcuts is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
One of my new customers wants to kill all of the existing dandelions and prevent new ones from coming back. Same goes for all his other broad leaf weeds. I suggested in mid feb. that he needed to aerate and apply a pre m. And he refused. Said that weeds weren't bad in his yard.... LoL. How far from right was he. So now he wants me to apply a weed and feed to take out the dandelions... I am new to the whole idea of fert pre and post m and all. But it is 70 percent rain friday, 60 percent saturday and he would like it to be applied before it rains. Which is fine for a granular weed and feed. But will it work.

Thank you,
Jonathan

P.S. i plan on getting a friend to do it for me who has the proper equip and experience.

A friend huh.......Well just a tid bit of advice, if you aerated before the 6 week barrier window, then you might as well kiss your coverage good bye.....As for when to apply weed and feed, you need 48hrs after a good rain or a good watering cycle of dry weather to allow the weeds to suck up the weed control and work in....if you put it down before it rains, it will just wash away your coverage and wash any dust particles off the folage. But make sure the lawn is wet so that the weed control can stick to the folage.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 AM
JShe8918's Avatar
JShe8918 JShe8918 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Thomasville, AL
Posts: 938
Okay. He called me and agreed to a liquid post emergent. Quick question could i just mix some hi-yield atrazine in my atv boom sprayer and apply it after the rain with a surfactant??? It is centipede grass.....
__________________
Jonathan Sheehan,
Sharper Image Lawn and Landscape,


"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 AM
RAlmaroad RAlmaroad is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SC
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
Okay. He called me and agreed to a liquid post emergent. Quick question could i just mix some hi-yield atrazine in my atv boom sprayer and apply it after the rain with a surfactant??? It is centipede grass.....
Wouldn't that be a trick and wish it were that simple. Are you licensed?
__________________
We all are merely gleaners from the masters who were here before us.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2008, 06:35 AM
2 clowns mowing 2 clowns mowing is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: yellow springs ohio
Posts: 566
weed and feed

corn clutten meal
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 AM
mngrassguy mngrassguy is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maple Grove, Mn
Posts: 2,167
Don't try to do this yourself. Call a licensed lawn care company and sub it out or you will be sorry. Dead grass, fines, unhappy customer, ect
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Marcos Marcos is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
One of my new customers wants to kill all of the existing dandelions and prevent new ones from coming back. Same goes for all his other broad leaf weeds. I suggested in mid feb. that he needed to aerate and apply a pre m.
This suggestion was a mistake on your part.

A "pre-m" applied to the lawn will only prevent non-germinated annual weeds.

Dandelions are PERENNIALS.
_______________________________________________________________


Weed controls...both pre and post-emergent.. will work only as far as the following law will allow them to:

Law of Weed Control in Turf

The first line of defense against any 'weed' in any stand of turf, is strong competition in the form of dense, well aerated grass, that's in soil that's still biologically alive.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Runner's Avatar
Runner Runner is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Flint, Michigan
Posts: 13,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
A friend huh.......Well just a tid bit of advice, if you aerated before the 6 week barrier window, then you might as well kiss your coverage good bye.
Actually, aeration won't affect the barrier...it will still hold. As long as it wasn't aerated to the point of being roto-tilled. There are some good university test articles posted on here about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 clowns mowing View Post
corn clutten meal
Yyyyya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
This suggestion was a mistake on your part.

A "pre-m" applied to the lawn will only prevent non-germinated annual weeds.

Dandelions are PERENNIALS.
Actually, a pre-emergent prevents the growth of both annuals AND perennials.
_______________________________________________________________


Weed controls...both pre and post-emergent.. will work only as far as the following law will allow them to:

Law of Weed Control in Turf

The first line of defense against any 'weed' in any stand of turf, is strong competition in the form of dense, well aerated grass, that's in soil that's still biologically alive.
__________________
Joe

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 PM
JShe8918's Avatar
JShe8918 JShe8918 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Thomasville, AL
Posts: 938
I must be mistaken but doesn't atrazine act as both a post and pre. But mainly used for a post emergent? If not what should be used on a centipede lawn to remove broad leaf weeds. That won't harm it. That rules out so much stuff. Due to 4,2 D being in just about all chemicals.
__________________
Jonathan Sheehan,
Sharper Image Lawn and Landscape,


"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Page generated in 0.10955 seconds with 7 queries