Register free!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Question About Skid Sprayer

I just started my 200 gallon North Star Sprayer today for the first time and I am trying to familiarize myself with it. I have a question though, when I turn on the agitator the gun loses all of it's pressure. How do I fix this?

Sorry if this is a easy question, the manual is vague and this is the first time I've used a skid sprayer.

Thanks...
Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not familiar with your brand of sprayer, but assuming it is like most out there, it is like mine. There is probably a bypass valve which allows you to control how much solution goes into the gun, and how much gets recycled into the tank through the agitator. There is a delicate balance in most sprayers. I've found just the right spot for mine, there may also be an additional bypass valve which allows solution to run into the intake line, if you need more pressure for agitation and spraying, you can shut that valve off completely.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

skid sprayer

In my sprayer, which has a pressure regulator, the excess gallons are sent back to the tank to serve as agitation. A valve allows all the flow to return to the tank as agitation.

Close the valve when you are spraying. Before spraying leave the agitation valve open to permit the full flow from the pump to serve as agitation. While you are spraying only a minimal amount goes back to the tank as agitation--sorry.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the help. I changed out the little tip on the agitator that it came with and it seems to be a little better. I really don't need that much agitation anyway.

I'm having a different problem now. I'm surprised to say, the Honda GX160 engine is giving me trouble. It was fine up until about an hour ago and now it keeps shutting off. It will start surging really bad and then just shut off. I checked the oil level since it has the safety feature and it's full.

I bought this thing refurbished so it has been used before. I'm missing the original manuals etc.

Any ideas on the engine?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Surging and then dying usually means a problem with fuel flow. If you are handy, clean the carb out really good, including fuel lines and tank, if not, try running some SeaFoam into the carb and let it sit in there for a while. Make sure air flow is good too.

-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tamer is right. Dirt, rust, water or old fuel could cause this. Try a fuel system cleaner. Install a fuel filter.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

try letting the engine warm up a minute or two off choke before pump pressure is applyed.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I drained all of the gas out and flooded it with SeaFoam in the new gas and through the carb and it is doing much better. It still surges at all RPMs, but not as bad and it doesn't shut off anymore. Hopefully, it will get better as the SeaFoam continues to clean.

Quick question, are these sprayers similar to pressure washers when it comes to letting them idle? I know with a pressure washer you can't let them idle for extended periods or you will damage the pump, are these the same way?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
I drained all of the gas out and flooded it with SeaFoam in the new gas and through the carb and it is doing much better. It still surges at all RPMs, but not as bad and it doesn't shut off anymore. Hopefully, it will get better as the SeaFoam continues to clean.

Quick question, are these sprayers similar to pressure washers when it comes to letting them idle? I know with a pressure washer you can't let them idle for extended periods or you will damage the pump, are these the same way?

Thanks a lot for the help.
I don't think idling will harm the pump. What you want to do though is find a speed that works, do your flow test. Once you do that just keep your throttle at the same spot, as changing your throttle will change your flow rate. Are you using a chemlawn gun? If so, I like the yellow nozzles, buy 2 of whichever nozzle you use so you have a clean one ready if the one you are using gets clogged, it sucks to waste 5-10 minutes at a lawn cleaning your nozzle. I also keep a pair of my wife's old pantyhose in the truck, I cut them into little patches that I stretch over the gun tip before I put the nozzle on. This keeps most debris from clogging the tip. I also recommend keeping the little rebuild kit for the chemlawn gun in the truck, it is easy to install and can be a lifesaver if you have one of your gaskets or seats in the gun go out on you, I also carry some vasaline to lube the gun if it starts sticking. Someone on here may know of something better, but it works.

To do a flow test, spray into a measured bucket for 1 minute. I like a flow rate of 2-2.2 gpm, fiddle with the throttle and the valves till you have the flow rate you want, then mark everything.
Run the first 2 or 3 fuel tanks with the Seafoam and I think you will be good on your motor.

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTamer View Post
I don't think idling will harm the pump. What you want to do though is find a speed that works, do your flow test. Once you do that just keep your throttle at the same spot, as changing your throttle will change your flow rate. Are you using a chemlawn gun? If so, I like the yellow nozzles, buy 2 of whichever nozzle you use so you have a clean one ready if the one you are using gets clogged, it sucks to waste 5-10 minutes at a lawn cleaning your nozzle. I also keep a pair of my wife's old pantyhose in the truck, I cut them into little patches that I stretch over the gun tip before I put the nozzle on. This keeps most debris from clogging the tip. I also recommend keeping the little rebuild kit for the chemlawn gun in the truck, it is easy to install and can be a lifesaver if you have one of your gaskets or seats in the gun go out on you, I also carry some vasaline to lube the gun if it starts sticking. Someone on here may know of something better, but it works.

To do a flow test, spray into a measured bucket for 1 minute. I like a flow rate of 2-2.2 gpm, fiddle with the throttle and the valves till you have the flow rate you want, then mark everything.
Run the first 2 or 3 fuel tanks with the Seafoam and I think you will be good on your motor.

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I have what you would call a Chemlawn gun. It has a round, red tip. It didn't come with any other tips.

Where do you buy parts, tips, etc. for these sprayers? I checked a local farm store and what they had was very limited.