Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jersey Boys----Sod Problems

Here's the story... I had a sod job to do of approximately 4,600 square feet and I measured the property and I must have screwed up the math at some point and ordered about half a pallet too little. Not a big deal, except for the fact that I get my sod from Novasack Sod farm down in South Jersey about 1- 1 1/2 hours from the job site. So I'm calling around to local sod farms and either they were closing for the day or were still to far away for me to complete the job. So while I was at Lesco this guy told me about Brookrest sod farm. I called them up and they said they could get me a pallet if I came right up there. They are in Marlboro which is only about 40 minutes away. So I fly up there completely aware of the fact that it might be slightly different than the sod that I had already laid.

When I get there the sod looked okay, not as good as what I got, but decent enough to finish. So I buy it for about 7 cents a square foot more than I pay for my sod. I get back to the job and my guys start laying it and they call me over and show me just how terrible it was. It was about half as thick, weedy, and if you barely pull on it it ripped to shreds. I decided that it was unusable and put it back in the truck. I called them this morning and politely told them that it was unusable in my opinion, and I would bring it back and that I would like a refund. They said no problem. I get there and they were so rude about it. A guy came out and tells me that it is good sod and that it was only a couple of bad pieces and as he jumps into my truck to show me how "good" it is it rips in his hand.

All in all, this thread was to tell a story and to be used as a public service. Novasack Sod has some of the best sod that I have ever seen. (Two competing lawn and landscape owners, both stopped and said how amazing the sod and the job looked.) They also are very easy to deal with and are very polite to speak to. The sod that I got from Brookrest sod farm was terrible and the customer service was just as terrible if not worse. Hope this helps someone. Sorry this was so long.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 04-12-2008, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bump...Bump
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've always used tuckahoe and infante, both have an excellent product....
Old 06-02-2008, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
Here's the story... I had a sod job to do of approximately 4,600 square feet and I measured the property and I must have screwed up the math at some point and ordered about half a pallet too little. Not a big deal, except for the fact that I get my sod from Novasack Sod farm down in South Jersey about 1- 1 1/2 hours from the job site. So I'm calling around to local sod farms and either they were closing for the day or were still to far away for me to complete the job. So while I was at Lesco this guy told me about Brookrest sod farm. I called them up and they said they could get me a pallet if I came right up there. They are in Marlboro which is only about 40 minutes away. So I fly up there completely aware of the fact that it might be slightly different than the sod that I had already laid.

When I get there the sod looked okay, not as good as what I got, but decent enough to finish. So I buy it for about 7 cents a square foot more than I pay for my sod. I get back to the job and my guys start laying it and they call me over and show me just how terrible it was. It was about half as thick, weedy, and if you barely pull on it it ripped to shreds. I decided that it was unusable and put it back in the truck. I called them this morning and politely told them that it was unusable in my opinion, and I would bring it back and that I would like a refund. They said no problem. I get there and they were so rude about it. A guy came out and tells me that it is good sod and that it was only a couple of bad pieces and as he jumps into my truck to show me how "good" it is it rips in his hand.

All in all, this thread was to tell a story and to be used as a public service. Novasack Sod has some of the best sod that I have ever seen. (Two competing lawn and landscape owners, both stopped and said how amazing the sod and the job looked.) They also are very easy to deal with and are very polite to speak to. The sod that I got from Brookrest sod farm was terrible and the customer service was just as terrible if not worse. Hope this helps someone. Sorry this was so long.
Duly noted. Guess I'll look elsewhere next time. Thanks for the heads up. Figures, they're one of my local area vendors.

Steve in NJ

04 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 8ft. bed
7X14 ft. Open landscape trailer
5 X 8 ft. Enclosed trailer
Wright Sentar 36" 17HP
Husqvarna 26HP 54" lawn tractor
Red Max EB7001 Blower
2 Kawasaki Line Trimmers
MTD Gas Lawn Edger
Maruyama Hedge Trimmer
Honda Pressure Washer
Echo 18" Chain Saw

Handy Home Medics LLC

"Critical Care for Lawns & Homes"
Old 06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I'm telling ya...Novasack is worth the extra delivery fee. The sod is cheaper and so much better.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com