Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, the good ole extortion programs of Alocet and Clip.

Another gentleman and myself had a long discussion with the former owner\pres of Alocet about how big of a crock this thing is.

I too, didn't pay it this year. Still trying to decide what to do. And mine is not flawless. I keep losing sort codes for my routing as well as the occasional error codes.

Time to move on, maybe to www.pencilandpaper.com Technology has not made things easier or my life paperfree as claimed. And I got really sick of paying $800 a year for something I didn't ever use. Sure, I got updates. Big deal. The BS with scheduling tech support is another story.

Anyways, Paul no longer owns it. FYI
Old 02-15-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually just switched to Qxpress from LM after many years (2001) of LM. My bigest gripe was as a perennial KMCP renewal, there had never been a charge to "convert data" from LM to qxpress. The Toronto team could not get me up & going quick enough in March 2011 (Darryl & Igor). It is all new people of Marathon Data a Jersey based Team Allen & another tech have answered all of my questions via e-mail, phone, or Join.me online either same or next business day. I personally am more leary of "cloud based" programs. Paul Jackson is a great guy & developer. He listened to all of my concerns when first developing LM. His changes from LM99-LM present took in everything we had discussed in a 90 minute or so conversation years ago. There is one more progrram the service company or something like that is the only other one I really liked & stores data on your system. Thats just my $.02
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The program that I believe would be a good alternative & I also believe they convert data from qxpress is http://www.theserviceprogram.net/index.htm
This company and serviceautopilot have even more to offer than qxpress. At this point, qxpress appears to have what I need most and the learning curve from LM was very minimal. Should qxpress not work for me, than I will explore other venues. At this point, My staff will not be using their phhones to log in/log out, we just print them daily route sheets and then input the data at days end or early next morning.

For those who still follow Paul Jackson, his new commpany is Method Integration www.methodintegration.com/ but this too is a cloud based program. Paul is on twitter and Linked in as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Monkey User - Advice Anyone?

The short-short version: We have been using LM software since Paul began, so I'm assuming with the sale of Alocet, Pauls' move to Method, and the fact that QExpress has stopped supporting LM etc.. that I'll have to move myself and my database soon as well.

What would your advice be to a suitable replacerment that's also COST EFFECTIVE?

the LONG version:
I've grown to love LM and have never used it to it's full potential, but would certainly need something that has the same/similar capabilities for customer data, jobs, routing, reports, invoicing etc. and these Quickbooks piggy-back programs are confusing. I'm barely familiar with QB as this is how I run credit card customers through, so I only enter info that's absolutely necessary (ie: customer and payment info plus the invoice I'm needing payment for, and that's it..) You could say that "I only know enough to get myself into trouble". (SIGH) I fondly remember the early days when Paul was the one answering the phone, hand-holding while I set LM up.

I've done some research and located a few potentials, however our business has struggled these past few years and I'm not at all thrilled at the prospect of monthly payments to a software company. To top that off, I'm nervous about using something new. PC stuff is supposed to be easy but my exp has taught me that it's NEVER easy.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

ME
Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

MM,

If your LM program is still working & the password issue has not been one for you, keep using it. Otherwise, I have no peroblems with the QXpress program. You will have to use quickbooks for all clients as there is no more accounting in this program. There is virtually NO learning curve from LM to Qxpress and to date, for me at least, tech support has been great, always get back to me same day.

Good luck

Bob
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

TurfDude,

Interesting that you should mention the "PW" issue, as I had dealt with that earlier this week. Upon opening LM, it said my PW would expire in 14 days and asked if I wanted it to "fetch" a new one, which I've not seen in FOREVER. So I fetched and got an error msg. PANIC set-in!

I rang up the new Qxpress peeps and they WERE able to give me a new password-key. He told me that they had stopped support of the program and all they'd be able to do from now on is regen a PW key if I should ever need one..

So for now I'm good! BUT- should my PC crash, which has happened throughout the years, I've always had to re-load from the original CD they sent me years ago; and put up with the DAILY "Updates" it runs itself to get all the updates and bug fixes etc I guess. It usually takes 3-6 months of these updates before it quits doing them... So if they shut down that server and my PC crashes: I'll/the program will no longer be able to update to the version I'm using.

IS there any way (a work-around?) to save/backup the LM program in it's current format, with all the updates intact? I'll I currently know how to do is make back-ups of my database; and having my database backed-up BUT no program to access and run in is pointless!!!

I've asked the NEW alocet/Qx people and they've told me "no". but I can't help feeling it's possible and they just would prefer I changeover to thier newest app.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mm,
I accidentally deleted my km program when installing qxpress, this happened when I uninstalled the qxtrial. Anyway, I reinstalled lm and then my database. My database had all of the updates and the qlink still worked too. Just make sure you have the most up to date km 10.6 I believe.
Bob
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdude View Post
My database had all of the updates and the qlink still worked too. Just make sure you have the most up to date km 10.6 I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device
??
My version of LM is 11.0.88, dated July 11, 2003 (according to the "Help" tab in the program)

I Don't understand "your database had all of the updates?"

I'm not asking anything about my database. I back those up nearly daily onto external hard-drive. I'm asking about the actual Lawn Monkey Program/Application.

LM never sent me a program disk other than the original "trial" CD from 2003, which does not have any/all of it's updates. When I install LM from scratch, it updates itself every day for months.

My concern is, should my PC die and I have to re-install the program, it will be the "trial" version that installs. I will still need all those daily updates. But since they've shut-down the server that loads those updates, all I'll have to work with is the buggy, non-updated LM.

Is there any way to burn a CD with the actual Lawn Monkey Program that I am currently utilizing on my PC, as is stands now?

i.e. can I goto "start", "explore", choose the entire LM folder, and make a backup of that. Then install that instead of this trial cd, next time my PC decides to die?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mm,

Yes, I would at least try to copy your LM installation program file onto your external drive. I was wrong, my version is actually 11.5.148 mar 17, 2006... anyway, when i acciddentally "deleted" the lm program, like yourself, i had a back-up and my file. When I re-installed LM, it was the older trial version, but once I opened up my company file, all of the updates were automatically there. I am unsure how. I know in the past either Igor or Darryl were always helpful, but neither are working for alocet now. I hope that helps. Realistically, LM for me never really had any serious issues. It is pretty bulletproof.

Good luck