Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

2001 Chevy Silverado P/U fuel pump

My sister-in-law has a 2001 Chevy Silverado P/U, 4.8 liter, auto. tranny, 2WD & 6.5 ft. bed.
I pulled the fuel lines from the filter, cranked the engine over and no fuel from tank. Checked the fuses under the hood and all checked OK. Switched the four pin relay with another from the fuse block. She has not hit any hard bumps. As she was driving her husband to work, the truck acted like it was starving for fuel. When she arrived to her mother's house she turned the engine off. Now it will not start at all. Any other troubleshooting ideas would be helpful prior to dropping the fuel tank.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELIABLELAWNMAN View Post
My sister-in-law has a 2001 Chevy Silverado P/U, 4.8 liter, auto. tranny, 2WD & 6.5 ft. bed.
I pulled the fuel lines from the filter, cranked the engine over and no fuel from tank. Checked the fuses under the hood and all checked OK. Switched the four pin relay with another from the fuse block. She has not hit any hard bumps. As she was driving her husband to work, the truck acted like it was starving for fuel. When she arrived to her mother's house she turned the engine off. Now it will not start at all. Any other troubleshooting ideas would be helpful prior to dropping the fuel tank.
This is a common problem GM pickups on that year. I believe yor fuel pump is actually located inside the fuel tank. Unless you have an access plate located in the bed behind the cab then you have to drop the fuel tank to replace those. On some models i/e 95's the fuel pump and guage were sold only as a unit. On others you can buy an aftermarket replacement pump alone ranging from 38.00 up to about 100.00.
In my own experience ,and this doesn't work every time, I have been able to turn ignition on and strike the bottom of the fuel tank directly beneath the fuel pump with a rubber hammer and get it to start running again but ultimately it will fail again. If it were my wife's main transportation I would have to go on and pull tank and replace the pump and or pump/guage assy. Hope this is some help.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

fuel pump woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELIABLELAWNMAN View Post
This is a common problem GM pickups on that year. I believe yor fuel pump is actually located inside the fuel tank. Unless you have an access plate located in the bed behind the cab then you have to drop the fuel tank to replace those. On some models i/e 95's the fuel pump and guage were sold only as a unit. On others you can buy an aftermarket replacement pump alone ranging from 38.00 up to about 100.00.
In my own experience ,and this doesn't work every time, I have been able to turn ignition on and strike the bottom of the fuel tank directly beneath the fuel pump with a rubber hammer and get it to start running again but ultimately it will fail again. If it were my wife's main transportation I would have to go on and pull tank and replace the pump and or pump/guage assy. Hope this is some help.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Member

A good sign your GM fuel pump is going , is when the pump gets loud and the guage fluctuates up and down. Ask sister if this was ever happening?
Stick a OBDII scanner tool on the computer might tell you its dead also.
Make sure you buy a GM fuel pump and not a aftermarket or you could be doing this over in 6 months. You will have to drop the tank to replace fuel pump.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same truck but a 99, a mechanic told me when the pump has to be replaced, it's easier to take the bed off if you have some help lifting it.I guess either way it's a pain in the butt.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

The guage fluctuates, as in going from full to sub-empty ?