Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Cub Tank M54 leaving strip of uncut grass

I have 06' Cub Cadet Tank M54 with the command cut system deck that leaves an uncut strip of grass I believe is coming from the left side. I use the standard high lift marbane blades that came with the mower. I have 2 sets and both sets leave the same streak. The deck is level and I run a very shallow 16th pitch from front to rear with the front being lower. The front tire pressure is set at 14 psi and the rear at 10psi. I have spent hours upon hours trying different pitch adjustments and level checks and cutting heights and nothing seems to work. The only way I can get a remotely acceptable cut I have to cut at 1.5". I really enjoy this mower and is very comfortable to operate but this problem has stumped me. With all the positive feedback on the command cut system it must be me. Please Help.

I cut mainly Bermuda grass with the occasional centipede property. Also cut a neighbors variety of grasses yard.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you said you have two sets of the same blades . Check the length of them -- are they 19" long . Measure across the blade diagonally from the tip of the cutting edge to the other tip's cutting edge.

Second question -- has this been an ongoing problem or a recent one.

Oh by the way I have the same mower and use a 1/4" pitch in the front and 10 lbs. of air in all four tires. If you are cutting at less than 2-1/2" you are supposed to reset the rear roller and the anti-scalp wheels. Check your manual for those settings.

Nosmo

Last edited by Nosmo; 04-13-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I will check the blade length. The anit-scalp rollers and the rear striping roller are in the highest setting. I never cut over 2.5 in eastern north carolina. This has been an ongoing problem. The deck is not warped or anything. The blades are level by measuring from the ground to the blade tip and I also put a level on the topside of the deck and it shows level as well and a 16th pitch from front to back.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

are you sharpening the blades at the correct angle? They should be around a 30 dedgree angle. I know dull blades or not sharpening properly can cause your mower not to cut, it doesn't sound like a deck/deck roller problem. Take a set of blades to a sharpener and get them professionally sharpened and see if there is a difference in cut quality. Anything other than than i'm not sure what else it could be.
CreativeEdge.Lawns@gmail.com
Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I thought that may be the case but I bought a brand new set and ran them and I saw no difference. nosmo, how much over lap are you cutting. Where to you align your caster wheels when cutting the next strip, on the inside or outside of the back tire impressions.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mine did that when we first got it. It was because the dealer didnt level and pitch the deck correctly on ours. Once I set it right it cut great. What I have found is the cheap Oregon blades actually cut better than the factory blades do. Have you noticed how much suction the factory blades create? With the factory blades mine created so much vacum that it would suck the mulch out of the beds if I was a couple inches away. I think this causes to much turbulance under the deck. The oregon blades dont create as much suction and it cuts cleaner due to less turbulance under the deck.

Here you can see how cleanly ours cuts deep wet northern fine fescue turf. This was cut at 3" with oregon blades.

Here you can see the oregon blades after I sharpened them. Notice how the air foil doesnt have as much lift as the factory blades.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Mine did that when we first got it. It was because the dealer didnt level and pitch the deck correctly on ours. Once I set it right it cut great. What I have found is the cheap Oregon blades actually cut better than the factory blades do. Have you noticed how much suction the factory blades create? With the factory blades mine created so much vacum that it would suck the mulch out of the beds if I was a couple inches away. I think this causes to much turbulance under the deck. The oregon blades dont create as much suction and it cuts cleaner due to less turbulance under the deck.

Here you can see how cleanly ours cuts deep wet northern fine fescue turf. This was cut at 3" with oregon blades.

Here you can see the oregon blades after I sharpened them. Notice how the air foil doesnt have as much lift as the factory blades.

Dude where are you getting those blades? Do they have a 3/4" Center Hole?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstosh View Post
Dude where are you getting those blades? Do they have a 3/4" Center Hole?

I got them from mowpart.com last spring when they were doing the free set of blade promotion. We happened to get lucky and win a free set so we went ahead and bought a set for our other mowers also. Yes they have a 3/4" center hole.

The first one of this list is the ones we got for our Tank M48. They have blades for all size Tanks.

http://www.mowpart.com/lawn-mower-bl...82.html?page=2
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-13-2008, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

The factory set of blades do have a lot of lift, a lot more than I am used to. I will order a set of the oregon blades and try. Do you sharpen the blades straight out of the box or after they wear some? Those are nicely sharpened blades that you have in the pics.

The deck is as level as I can possibly get. So the blades may do the trick. I will post back after I put the new set on and try it out. Thanks everyone for their suggestions and if anyone comes up with anymore just let me know and I will try it. I am ready to solve this issue because this is an awesome mower and I know this deck will cut nice.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to belive you need a new set of blades , do both your sets do the same thing , if so have they always done that? is your spindle broke or bent? thats all it could be.I think

good luck grass is growing