Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2008, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As Nosmo mentioned I would check the underside of the deck for buildup. A filled up deck will leave strips between the blades. Mowing too fast can do the same thing. From my experience the strips between the blades are a result of a lack of capcity.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I think that the strip of uncut grass is coming from the left edge, next time I mow I will overlap my runs a little more. The striping pictures above looks like there is not much overlap between the runs, however and wonder how much overlap was cut in those pictures?

The underside of the deck looks good with no buildup. I have not check the baffles but I will sometime today when I get a chance.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Update.

The deck did have quite a bit of build up preventing the left side of the deck to process grass effectively, but the baffles looked good and are all there. Went to cut and the uncut strip of grass is still there. I cut one streak and got off to see exactly where it is coming from and the uncut strip is almost in the center of the left blade, not the edge. Any more advice?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Is the uncut strip in line with your left front wheel? I wonder if the deck isn't sucking up the grass after the wheel flattens it.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

he just mentioned that it's coming from near the center of the left blade.
I would have thought it was build-up in the deck.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Usually the center of the blade always cuts the best. That is the last place I would have expected the strip to occur. It does sound more like a tire pushing the grass down than anything else.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Is it doing this on all lawns, or just your own? Thin lawns that don't naturally push the grass into an upright position can be problematic in this regard... Still, though - it seems like something's off. Especially if only the left blade is doing it. That kind of squashes the tire-matting-it-down theory...

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Just carried the mower over to my field on the farm that had not been cut for a while and man you can really see. It is bad and leaves a lot of stringers as well. Maybe all the weeds in the field is the cause of the stringers. Anyway, the uncut strip is inside the tire line. I made an initial pass then got off the mower to confirm where the uncut strip was and it is inside the left caster wheel. No wheels went over the area that left the strip. This should be covered under warranty and I guess I will carry it back because this machine cuts terrible and for $7200 is totally unacceptable. Any other suggestions? I am willing to look at something else to help fix the problem.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bard View Post
Just carried the mower over to my field on the farm that had not been cut for a while and man you can really see. It is bad and leaves a lot of stringers as well. Maybe all the weeds in the field is the cause of the stringers. Anyway, the uncut strip is inside the tire line. I made an initial pass then got off the mower to confirm where the uncut strip was and it is inside the left caster wheel. No wheels went over the area that left the strip. This should be covered under warranty and I guess I will carry it back because this machine cuts terrible and for $7200 is totally unacceptable. Any other suggestions? I am willing to look at something else to help fix the problem.

Let me get this straight. Your trying to use a commercial mower as a bushhog and you expect it to cut nice and clean?

Sounds like you bought the wrong peice of equipment for the job.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-26-2008, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Have you checked to see if the spindle bolt is bent? Is the belt tight enough? Are you cutting at maximum rpm? Is the spindle turning free, well greased? Tony

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.