Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2001, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Bidding Church lot

Bidding on my first open church job.
It is approx 2.31 acres , most is open with some trees and shrubs to cut and mow around, and does have considerable trimming on the walkways and parking area. Don't have a rider until next year hopefully. Using a 36" metro. Most of the big wigs around our area are at $50 an acre. Thought about charging 100-115.00
per mow. They want it done every week . Does this sound about in the range? Btw, 2.31 acres is total grass area. since I'm not mowing the sidewalks or the sanctuary................
Old 12-03-2001, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Addict

They might want it done for cheaper than that. You have to watch when giving prices to non-profit organizations. When you give an estimate, your estimate is a fair judgement in your eyes. If they try to get a lower price than that is pure ignorance.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some states vary in prices, 1st what do you think your total time by yourself would be? Also with help? Up in our location for maintenance we get $35.00 per hr per man. So if took us 1hr to do we would charge $70.00 to $75.00 We also run 3 Walker 48GHS mowers and 2 ZMasters along with a few walkbehinds so our decks are larger takes less time. A good estimater is on either Toros web site or exmark, tells deck sizes per acres/times, Thats all the market up here will allow, There are some medium size companies running small company rates up here at $25hr pr man and its hurting us medium sized companies in our area.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before you bid, you must make a decision on equipment. You really should have a wide cut rider. If you have other properties that a rider would save you time on, then that sounds like the way to go. If you do mostly smaller properties, then a rider will not help you much and you may want to pass on this one. I've seen guys mowing 2 acre churches that were 6" high because they had 3 days of rain and got behind schedule. They could not bag 5,000 lbs of grass, so they double and/or triple cut. Those poor saps were there all day.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That size with a 36" will take forever. You will find yourself checking on Lazers real soon. Your bid and the church I cut are probably not very similar. So, only you can decide on how long it will take and what your cost are. Maybe you could be a good candidate for the flex deck. 36" + 18".
Old 12-04-2001, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have alot of residential accounts and a couple big commercial accounts i would go with a 48' hydro wb this mower can mow large properties in a small amount of time, and still get in those tight spots for your residential accounts if you have the trailer space i would keep the 36' for those smaller gates it really sucks having to mow a 1/4 of acre with a 21' because of a gate If you have to wait a year to buy a new mower due to $$ your best $300 ever spent will be on sulky wheels if you dont youll find youself wanting to run behind that 36" but that looks silly
Old 12-04-2001, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Schlep,

I don't work any properties that large, but I'm thinking a 36" walk behind might take an hour to an hour and a half just for cutting that lot. Throw in trimming, edging, and cleanup and you're looking at 2-3 hours of work each time. Some of the guys out there working large lots might give us both more insight on this.

If I'm correct $50/cut would be way too low, obviously. I think I'd go about in range you're talking ($100-120/cut).

Now, if I plug it into my California formula I come up with...

$616/cut.

My formulas work great on properties up to 4-6000 square feet, but tend to lose their logic on larger properties...
Old 12-04-2001, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Cummings, 2 acres is 87,120 sq ft - divide this by his 3 ft wide mower and you get over 29,000 linear feet to cover. If he expects to mow it in one hour, he will have to average 5.5 mph with no lost time for turnarounds or overlap - the usual figure for this is no better than 80%, which puts him at close to 7 mph - good luck!

Last edited by HOWARD JONES; 12-04-2001 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well there ya go, then. I told you I might be way off...
Old 12-05-2001, 03:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i got a 100,623 sq. ft rounded to 101,000 sq. ft and would charge around $1.15 per k which comes out to 116.15 per visit keep in mind there are alot of people in the church that will inquire about you if you do good work....