Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2000, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

This will be my first year offering lawn applications and am considering using Bulk Mail as one of my marketing tools. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has used bulk mail, and any tips or advice you could give on this subject. I am considering a 10,000 piece mail out of professionally made brochures. The mailing list will be comprised of homeowners of targeted zip codes. I am most interested in what I can expect for a response rate, and a new<br>customer rate.<p>Thanks,<br>Tony_S.
Old 01-17-2000, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony, I sent out a 10,000 piece mailing last spring and to this day I still get calls from that flyer! Like yours, mine were prof. done. I got approx. 200 calls from that mailing. I picked up 40 lawn accounts and numerous other landscape work. I believe that I sent it out at the wrong time also! When the mailing went out we got an unexpected snow storm which probrobly hindered the responce a bit. I also sent it out in mid march which was a little early in my area I quess. I live on in MA on Cape Cod and most residents here are summer people. This year I'm going to do another possibly later in the month or early in April because I figure people wait until the last minute to call us for service. You better get ready to go out and do the estimates, I wasn't prepared with my labor and was behind because I over booked work. Where do you get your lists from? How much do you get charged per address?<p>Chris
Old 01-17-2000, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

This is a very interesting way to target new prospects! How did you get the brochure produced and was it expensive? Did you use a direct mailhouse to design the brochure or did you do it?
Old 01-17-2000, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Microsoft Publisher 2000 is a terrific tool for developing professional-quality brochures, though content, of course, is up to you. I recently heard from a successful house painter that he started his business by placing flyers on the OUTSIDE of mailboxes in upper-income neighborhoods. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 01-17-2000, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm with DavidATL, I would like to see some more info.<p>Thanks.
Old 01-17-2000, 04:01 PM
davidzon

Hi folks,<p>I hate to intrude, but this seems like a perfect subject... Perhaps you need to consider purchasing banner impressions on HallOfForums! <p>Contact advertising@globalreaction.com if you are interested.<br>
Old 01-17-2000, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Direct-mail is probably the best way to pick up customers fast. I have averaged a 2% response. And with 15,000 of them sent out, I got about 30 customers!
Old 01-17-2000, 07:35 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

VW Bug, if you got 2%, you would have gotten 450 customers. Did you end up getting them in a small area, or do you have to do a lot of driving.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-17-2000, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric,<br>Your math is as bad as his. Too many hours on a Dixie Chopper? <p>2% of 15,000 is 300.
Old 01-17-2000, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, .02% I got 28 new lawns (so far), which is not bad for the $600 the ad cost me. I payed for itself in a few days. And yeah my math is bad.