Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2000, 01:57 AM
jeffclc

VWbug-<br>How did you direct mail to 15,000 addresses for $600? <br>nlminc- What was your cost to send out the 10,000 that you sent? <p>Did you guys send through the post office, or flier the area by hand? <p>Personally, I don't read every piece of mail that I get. Often it gets tossed rather quickly, and I really don't know what they were offering. On the other hand, a flyer in the door, or on the outside of the mailbox would get my attention.<p>What about another delivery alternitive. Maybe the newspaper delivery people would be interested in passing out fliers at the same time they deliver the papers.<p>Around here, the paper delivery people are considered independent contractors, and could probally do it without any slack from the paper company. (That is what they get for making them independents, lower taxes, but then they can't keep them from taking on other work).<p>
Old 01-18-2000, 03:07 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lazer, I was trying to get him more customers. It was late and I knew 2% of 10,000 was 200. I sure screwed that on up. LOL <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-18-2000, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric, you just never have to advertise, with all those perfect, triple-cut, beautiful lawns are your advertising. (Even if they were cut with a Dixie Chopper.)<p>Reagrding &quot;Bulk&quot; Mail 15,000 pieces for $600.00. I think we might be talking about a definition thing here. There also is Direct Mail. I would assume that at $.04 per piece, VWBug didn't mail a 1st class letter & brochure to 15,000 homes. Was is part of a Val-Pak or a Flyer insert?
Old 01-18-2000, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,<br>I see by the posts that there are a lot of you that are unfamiliar with using bulk mail. (A form of direct mail) Like I said in the first post, this will be my first time using it, so I’m not sure of the exact numbers yet, but this is how it works in a nutshell.<p>1) Get your mailing list. Look in the yellow pages under “Mailing Lists” You can buy ANY<br>type of list (homeowners, business owners ect.) in any geographical location in any quant.<p>2)Get Your Permit. Go to the local Post Office and get your Bulk Mail Permit ($100.00<br>for life)<p>3) YOU have to presort the mail by 3 or 5 digit zip and bundle them with elastics, and they must be dropped of at the PO where you got you permit.<p>4) There are other rules regarding the size and shape of the letter or card, so check w/ the P.O. BEFORE you make up your flyers.<p>This may sound like a lot of work, but it will save much $$ than using 1st. class mail.<p>Tony S.<br>
Old 01-18-2000, 04:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony,<br>Doesn't bulk mail reduce your per piece cost from $.33 postage down to $.26? And it's still considered first class or not?
Old 01-18-2000, 04:54 AM
LawnSite Member

The price is determined by total weight of the entire load, not by the piece. The price you end up paying to do the mailing will vary widely depending on a lot of factors, such as total weight, whether you have them sorted by 3 or 5 digit zip and other factors. Contact you local Postmaster, he can give you all the details.<p>Tony S.
Old 01-18-2000, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

You can go to http://www.mysoftware.com/mailtips/index1.htm for a lot of info on how bulk mail works.
Old 01-18-2000, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish it were this easy. The problem you have with bulk or val-paks is you don't target completely effectively certain customers. I've been told &quot;well I got a specific area that I wanted to target and It was all nice houses. Yes and no. For instance, the area I am looking to target is a high end residential area across the road from me. Well even if I bulk mailed it I would still be hitting several of those split house rental properties, townhouse renters, some small cheaper nice houses, businesses that rent their space, etc. So, when you think about it your money isn't being effectively used. If you don't want to go deliver the fliers well... pay someone to do it. Kids would be great at this. Also like some others said, some of the people who have the means to live well don't check unimportant mail. It is just a waste of time to them. They toss the val-pak. They lose the mail that is bulked. Now, now some residents do hate and I mean hate the fliers but I've also been told that some just can't resist the temptation to undo the flier and look at it. That's just the way I see it I could be wrong.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 01-18-2000, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I did some bulk mailing a few years ago but I thought it was quite a hassle. You now have to buy a permit for $100 and pay another $100 the first time you use the permit. To get the bigger discounts everything must be sorted, bar coded, labeled, etc. However, the biggest problem I had was the delay in getting the pieces mailed since bulk mail has the absolute lowest priority. Some of my pieces took a couple of weeks to be delivered.<p>I think it is just as cheap and a lot easier to mail out postcards. I work up what I want to say on a regular sheet of paper with 4 post cards outlined on it. I have the copy center run a couple of hundred copies of my sample on 110 lb. paper. Then they cut the 110 lb. sheets into 4 postcards. <p>I use Pro CD to get the address I want to use for the mail out and print the address on labels. Then put the label on the post cards along with a 20 cent stamp. Total cost for paper, copies, labels, and postage is about 25 cents each. (This is about my same cost for having flyers delivered)<p>The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about all the rules and regulations for bulk mailing and you can mail out hundreds or only one at a time.<p><p>----------<br>A and B Lawn Services<br>
Old 01-18-2000, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

A & B,<br>I was following you up to the point you said Pro CD. What is that and how do you get the addresses you want? Is it easy to get working and sort the addresses you want etc... More info. please<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY