Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

carrier rack + ride-on = safe?

Last Saturday, ______ & I went to a local metal fabrication shop. He showed us an original GM truck receiver that was severely cracked. It belonged to a LCO that had a carrier rack to haul a ride-on sprayer/spreader. When the ride-on began dragging on the ground, the LCO took it in for repairs. The ride-on (as well as the carrier rack) were bought new from a well known manufacturer.

Anybody using a "dual hitch receiver" rack? If so -- is it built locally? Any concerns regarding single receiver racks? rscvp, thanks.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The stock receiver on our chevy 2500hds bent in half also. I think the after market ones we have installed are 1500lb tongue weight. We can carry a P.G. with the hopper full with no problems now.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I recommend a DMI Quick Cushn hitch!

There is no way you will ever have to worry about it failing!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

receiver carrier, PG

Larry,
Yes I had a hitch carrier built for my PG Ultra. Driving Chevy 3500 one ton. The blacksmith shop which builds a lot of trailer hitches, used two extra long heavy duty square receiver tubes. They are bolted to the frame through some spacer channel steel. The receiver tubes are about 30 inches long. PG sets in two channels. This supports my Ultra nicely. They added taillights, and a wheel trap to keep machine from hopping out at a railroad track, plus they made it to break down in 6 pieces so that I could unbolt them and remove it in 15 minutes by myself.

Only problems-slight redesigns added time and cost--totaled $1400. I changed to four stainless steel bolts to hold it together--Maybe stainless wing nuts next time.

Also, rust is a big problem. No matter how much I paint it -it looks horrible by the end of the year. Maybe aluminum--or wood--or galvanized--if I do this again.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Or look into having it coated with something like Line-X. The dual receiver idea is actually the way to go. Now, some of the ones we've done are braced or chained (wrapped chain) to the bumper. The next one I do for my 1 ton will have a brace come up that bolts through the back of the bed to not only hold it from wobbling, but also help support the weight. After awhile, they DO want to sag...I see it all the time on trucks. My friend John built one with dual receiver mounts, and that was the best one he had.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Great idea Runner, would love to see some pics
Old 04-15-2008, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Larry,
Yes I had a hitch carrier built for my PG Ultra. Driving Chevy 3500 one ton. The blacksmith shop which builds a lot of trailer hitches, used two extra long heavy duty square receiver tubes. They are bolted to the frame through some spacer channel steel. The receiver tubes are about 30 inches long. PG sets in two channels. This supports my Ultra nicely. They added taillights, and a wheel trap to keep machine from hopping out at a railroad track, plus they made it to break down in 6 pieces so that I could unbolt them and remove it in 15 minutes by myself.

Only problems-slight redesigns added time and cost--totaled $1400. I changed to four stainless steel bolts to hold it together--Maybe stainless wing nuts next time.

Also, rust is a big problem. No matter how much I paint it -it looks horrible by the end of the year. Maybe aluminum--or wood--or galvanized--if I do this again.
I hear ya, seems the breaking point is tested on all single hitch recievers -- nomatter what the specs say. We still have not found a company that makes dual hitch receivers. So far, our only solution is to have one locally fabricated. Wondering why nobody sells 'em??? Figure a spreader that weighs 500 lbs, then allow for 50 - 100 ibs of fert in the hopper, then allow for ____ gallons of spray...........I can visualize a nightmare.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I took a couple photos of mine. I will try to post them soon. I should point out that it is difficult to remove the rack. It weighs about 250. If you take it apart--fine--no problem. If you do not take it apart and use a hilo, then you have to get the height of the forks exactly right. Also even a very slight angle pulling back results in a jam--and you can't get it out of the receivers. And of course you cannot slide a pallet onto my truck unless you take the caddy off first.

One more thing. Some parts of the disassembled rack are heavy. So I put little caster wheels on them to make them easy to move and store. The ramps have expanded metal welded on them for traction--but it gets rusty--almost impossible to paint. Next time I will use sandpaper traction mats or be able to unbolt the expanded metal.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We just got ours back today. It's steel & aluminum. Dual recievers with slide-outs. Weighs less than 100 pounds. It turned out perfect!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Post up some of those pics American! You remember how to do it right?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980