Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-03-2001, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Used Dixie Chopper Price

Hey guys, been a while. I did the search and found nothing recent. A guy here in Mass has 2 DC's for sale.
The first is a 60" 22 Kohler with 1500 hours (5-6 years old) for $4800.
The second is a 50" 20 Kohler with 700 hours (4-5 years old) for $4500.
Both are Stainless Steel
The 60" has a bagger of some sort.
He wasn't sure the model numbers when I called. Do these sound reasonable? I am looking for something for the spring, gotta expand from the ol' metro.
OF COURSE I have to go look and see what kind of condition they are in, etc.. but, assuming I look and they are in Good condition, what do you guys think about those prices?
Thanks!
Old 12-03-2001, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those prices do not sound to bad, there is a guy here in springfield that usually has several used d/c's email me and I will get you his number!
Old 12-03-2001, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a 60 Dixie yr was 2000 with 360hrs plus 14ft trailor for 4500 i called but could never get the guy he was never home. That was a excellent price. Marks Mowing Service
Old 12-03-2001, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 50" sounds like a better deal, but I like 60" mowers better. Ask the guy alot of maintainance questions. I would check both air filters. Some people are unaware of the Kholer air filter. Ask him if he changed the the hydro fluid and amsoil oil filter at 500hrs. With Choppers, if they have good maintainance it will probably last 3000hrs. For instance, I would buy one of Eric ELM's mowers with 2000hrs b/c I know how he does his maintainance. The physical apperance will also tell how if it has been abused. Let us know what happens.

Rick
Old 12-03-2001, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have liked to have seen that deal Mark.
There are no stupid questions... they're just the easiest to answer.

Old 12-03-2001, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a 98 XW2500 this spring with 480 hours on it for $4500.00. The only draw back I saw was someone has put a set of ATV tires on it. They have really soft sidewalls. bounce like crazy and really eat up turf if your not carefull turning. I see a set of Turf Boss II's under the christmas tree. Other than that she's a beauty.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill i tried to get ahold of that guy for two weeks thats how long the ad ran for, He did not show any address or i would have got it. Its not in the paper now so i guess someone got a heck of a deal. Tonight there was a scag turf tiger with 75hrs paid 9700 wants 7500 but i don't like scags but where i live they are the number one seller you see scag on all traliors well most all.
Marks
Mowing
Service
Old 12-03-2001, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think in my market they both are a little high.The 60 would likely go for 3800-4200 and the 50 3500 tops,probably more like 3000-3200.No one uses ZTR's under 60" here,so no value in them,I found out why when i bought one.If thr 60 is real clean,and well amitained it should serve you well,but 7K will buy you a nice new ZTR with more power and zero hours.,so 4800 is hard justify for a 5-6 yr old mower, wi 1500 hrs on it.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, everything you said put it into real perspective for me, and I think I will just wait, if I see a great deal around, I will go for it, but not an average deal. I can get a Landpride (Hustler) 60" with a 23 kawi brand new for $6500, so yeah, why spend that much for a 5-6 yr old mower. Thanks again to the lawnsite crew for another save!
-mike
Old 12-06-2001, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Bill i tried to get ahold of that guy for two weeks thats how long the ad ran for, He did not show any address or i would have got it. Its not in the paper now so i guess someone got a heck of a deal. Tonight there was a scag turf tiger with 75hrs paid 9700 wants 7500 but i don't like scags but where i live they are the number one seller you see scag on all traliors well most all.
Marks
Mowing
Service
Mark- you trying to get a Dixie tradition started in Eville?

I'll bring u one for Christmas, when i go home to my girlfirends house in Eville, lol

Kevin