Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2001, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

no friends, no relatives. only use occasionally, as needed, they feel they are helping you out, as your employee, they expect higher pay, less work and every privelage that no one else has, not even the owner.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

keep the friend

Do not hire friends on a full time basis
(help in the summer growing season, weekends maybe)

Just to much conflict
Old 12-04-2001, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure, why not!

Just kidding. NO!
Old 12-04-2001, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

No.....

I agree with most of the others here on this.

They'll start taking advantage of you by showing up late, leaving early,long lunchs,sloppy work and on and on.

And this is the best of all....expect you to hand deliver their paycheck to their house when they don't show up that day.(I've had all these happen)

And always trying to bum lunch money, or gas money ETC....

Dan
Old 12-05-2001, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

again no..... unless of course you do like me.. i married my best friend, and now SHE is my BOSS!!!!!
Old 12-05-2001, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Friends & Family

Where to start, I have had both work for me. I always seem to fell like I'm getting screwed. Friends not as bad though. Family well.... Good luck, I'm trying to get out of that rut, tough one to break. I'm at the point where I need a full time year round employee on salary to take over for me when I can't be in the field, or I can't grow my bus. anymore. I can affird to pay good, give good benefits, & if not abused extras(take a truck home (99 1 ton 4x4 PU), cell phone, ect.). I don't work my guys hard, generally 8 or 9 hr days, do as much as possible with equipment, ect. Family seems to think college =better pay, till they can't find a job, seen it happen too much. Good luck, I'm trying to get out of that rut- it's one of my winter projects.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Fronczak
Friends & Family
I'm at the point where I need a full time year round employee on salary to take over for me when I can't be in the field, or I can't grow my bus. anymore. I can affird to pay good, give good benefits, & if not abused extras(take a truck home (99 1 ton 4x4 PU), cell phone, ect.). I don't work my guys hard, generally 8 or 9 hr days, do as much as possible with equipment, ect.
I could've written that!

My first time finding this forum, and you guys got me nailed. I'm taking over my boss's company on Jan 1st, and I'm going to allow my brother and sister to try their hands at helping. I think I can make this work, but I am worried. I realize I have a chance of failure, but the way I read the labor market, I have smaller chance of finding someone I can trust my future with. I am in the position of be more afraid of growth, than interested in pursuing it, just because I have no confidence in finding a good employee.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No . I tried and he produced 100-150 a day to my 250-300. I helped him go out on his own and he produced more for himself. I payed to good because he was a freind and took it in the shorts.

Next helper is a stanger that will ride shotgun so I can milk him for all he is worth.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:07 AM

I disagree....but not really...I'll make this make sense....

I owned my business for 10 years. It was very successful with considerable growth each and every year. Our reputation was second to none. Our work was second to none. Our client retention rate was also second to none...you get the point.

This was all possible in large part due to my employees....
Mike, Ed, John, Sean, Scott, Frank, Eric, Dave, Seth

These 9 guys were my close friends. In fact, Mike has been my best friend for 20 years. And here is why it worked...

I treated them with respect, I paid them well, and I had them buy into the idea of being a part of something great. There was no hoax, no lying....just me paying my friends to do the best they could. Everywhere I went I was always complimented personally. I was quick - instant quick - to praise my employees, my friends. I explained that it was all their doing. When there was criticism, I took the blame as company owner. They still admitted and fixed their mistakes though.

Yes, hiring a friend is a different situation, and for some unpleasant. Maybe I was lucky. They are all still my friends today.