Register free!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any ideas? w/pics

I am in Northwest Ohio and showed up to this new client the othe day. My client is the house to the right and the white house is his neighbor who chem lawn treats, I know it is not grubs because there is still a root system present. if there any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Thanx for any input in advance.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2008, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like zoysia turf to me..... the zoysia could not jump the sidewalk. Are these light brown grasses rather wide and thick? Are there runners?

I see a surprising number of zoysia lawns here, and many are mixed zoysia and cool season grasses, and that house on the left looks very typical of a mixed turf to me.

In Ohio, as here, zoysia is still dormant. It's tough to cut, and impossible (nearly) to get rid of... it will eventually out compete the cool season grasses, but will take years to do it. It's also a pita to cut, but in the middle of the summer, zoysia is absolutely gorgeous.... thick, green, and too thick for almost any weed to break through. A close up pic would help.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks like the dormant zoysias here. Like whitey said, it makes a very thick lawn. And its like trying to push a fert spreader through peanut butter. About 15-20% of my lawns here are zoysia.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with the other two posts. It looks like a warm season grass still in dormancy.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take a look at this zoysia pic.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Old 04-15-2008, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanx fellas, havent had much experience with this grass in the past, guess i have to look forward to mowing it and pushing the speader
Old 04-15-2008, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguyslawn View Post
thanx fellas, havent had much experience with this grass in the past, guess i have to look forward to mowing it and pushing the speader
Not that it'll make you feel any better but it doesn't take as much fert as the Fescue/Bluegrass. It needs about 3/4lb rate of N (so you don't have to put quite as much in the hopper.)

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 04-16-2008, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

do not over fert this grass could cause more problems
Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We got a lot of partial zoysia lawn up this way .everytime a see one , I wander whiether they took the free pocket fisherman or the ginzu knive set .tough stuff . Years ago it was billed as a new miracle grass.probly very expensive cuz very few put in a whole yard .I remember seeing it in the back of magizine ,match books and the fabled AS SEEN ON T.V. . L.O.L.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's about 3 times the cost of bermuda sod here. It can look great and usually does,but it's susceptible to brown patch and Rust fungus and with our high humidity and afternoon showers there are certain times of the year it can be a pain. And if you want a real problem aggravate those fungi with too much fert!