Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2008, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate reloading weed eater string!!!!!

Anyone got any tips on how to extend the life of my string?? I know it seems pettyha ha but man it's so annoying restringing that thing. I've got a Echo trimmer, does anyone use those backup string reloaders? Are they worth it? Is any string better than the other? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Put your role of string in a bucket of water and keep it there...makes the line last longer..also try not to hit hard surfaces so much..
2004 Chevy C4500 W/12' Monroe Dump DURAMAX/ALLISON 105,000 Miles
2008 Royal Cargo 8.5'x18' Trailer

SCAG & ECHO POWER EQUIPMENT

"While your Strokin and Cummin.. I'll be takin your girl to the Max"
Old 04-16-2008, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Member

A bucket of water hahahah I hope thats a joke! Use 0.95 line thats all Ive used for 15 years! Think about it though when weedeating pvc..... Adjust your throttle so its not full throttle on pvc lines (Water extensions etc..
Old 04-16-2008, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Buy a Shindaiwa Speed Feed trimmer head for your trimmer. It should fit.

It takes me 30 seconds or less to re-string...literally.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScape View Post
Buy a Shindaiwa Speed Feed trimmer head for your trimmer. It should fit.

It takes me 30 seconds or less to re-string...literally.
My problem is the string broke and went into the head, I asked and I was told it is harder to take the Speed Feed head apart than the regular head!!!

I just tried Echo Cross Fire, IT IS VERY GOOD!!!!! I love it!!! It does not break as easy.

I was told in other forums to put the string in water too to prevent them from drying out.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Dude just buy a 0.95 line diamond cut yes it breaks, but not alot! Unless you are Sunbathing your weedeater string for the perfect tan why would you put it in water?..................................
Old 04-16-2008, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungman View Post
My problem is the string broke and went into the head, I asked and I was told it is harder to take the Speed Feed head apart than the regular head!!!

I just tried Echo Cross Fire, IT IS VERY GOOD!!!!! I love it!!! It does not break as easy.

I was told in other forums to put the string in water too to prevent them from drying out.
No it is not any harder to take the Speed Feed head apart. Been using one for 2 years and have had no problems and have had to take it apart a couple of times, piece of cake.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS View Post
No it is not any harder to take the Speed Feed head apart. Been using one for 2 years and have had no problems and have had to take it apart a couple of times, piece of cake.
I was told by the salesman, I took his word. I told him that my biggest problem is breaking one side of the string and went into the head, I have to take it apart to pull it out.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Member

some tips

hello i read your problem, this may help;

first are you cutting with the head? if you try to cut with the head of the trimmer, you will have these problems. youll use line like crazy, have to reline often, and generally be aggravated. the solution is to learn where the end of the line is. this is your cutting area, not up against the head. try tilting trimmer slightly, watch what is being cut, and only cut on one side.

second, lining, is your spool the split one, or the older regular spool. do you load it with one line or two? you should only use one piece of trimmer line. divide that in half. i crimp the line at the halfway point, take the crimp and catch a slot in the dividing wall of the spool. wind line with the direction arrow. there are some holes in the spool body that you can just push the line in and it catches there, ignore these, try it my way, youll like it better.

third, did you remove the shield? if you did, so do alot of people. you have to know how much line to run from head to end. try to keep the same always. too much, you engine will lug. too little, youll overrev and have line probs.

i hope these help you, david
Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

string

STOP! check out this web site and all your problems will be solved. www.betterheadsllc.com we have used them for the past 2 years and they work great. ask for the commercial unit when order.