Register free!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

dandies!!!

This new to me account was still dormate when I applied Pre-emerg on 3/26.

I went to mow and there are dandilions everywhere, what happened?

How do I explain to my contact what is happening as well.

Help!!!

Thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You expected a pre-M to stop dandelions? That's why we charge for post emergent apps.... OK, here it comes.... you can't possibly be certified if you are this clueless, can you?

Back off my high horse.... pre-M's attack the germination process of crabbgrass seeds, as well as many other less significant annual weeds... dandies are bi-annuals. Do you underdstand the difference?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best way I see is to explain "I don't know what I am doing, I will contact a licensed professional to sub out the chemicals".

It is always best to tell your "contact" that you will not B.S. them. If you don't know what to do, find someone who does know, that is your job. If you do B.S. them along, eventually it can come and bite you in the rear. Apparently it has bitten you already and it did not even take 1 month.
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 04-16-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah...I'm an idiot...I am learning as I go here. I'm fully legal, unfortunately my degree is in comm arts not agri.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Easy Whitey! Close your eyes and breathe deeply...

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Im not trying to B.S. anyone. this is the reason I'm trying to get info to relay to them.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fully legal? Do you have a pesticide license?

Just because you have a degree in Horticulture or Agriculture does not automatically allow you to apply chemicals. You with a degree in Comm Arts are allowed to apply chemicals if you take and pass the state licensing test.

Again, look at my first quote. "I don't know what I am doing, I will contact a licensed professional to sub out the chemicals".

Last edited by Hoots; 04-16-2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No disrespect but if you don't know the answer you probably shouldn't be applying anything to any lawn anywhere. So to encourage you on the right path of weed control..... read your label. Understand what a pre- emergent does and what a post-emergent is for. You will have your answer and will know what to tell your client. You really should have a basic knowledge on this stuff before you put yourself out for hire.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
You expected a pre-M to stop dandelions? That's why we charge for post emergent apps.... OK, here it comes.... you can't possibly be certified if you are this clueless, can you?

Back off my high horse.... pre-M's attack the germination process of crabbgrass seeds, as well as many other less significant annual weeds... dandies are bi-annuals. Do you underdstand the difference?
Actually Whitey.....Dandelion is a perennial not a bi-annual!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
No disrespect but if you don't know the answer you probably shouldn't be applying anything to any lawn anywhere. So to encourage you on the right path of weed control..... read your label. Understand what a pre- emergent does and what a post-emergent is for. You will have your answer and will know what to tell your client. You really should have a basic knowledge on this stuff before you put yourself out for hire.
I like your diplomatic response. Sorry, I get so worked up sometimes when there are people asking questions here that took me 4 years of college, state testing, 5 CEU's every year (which by the way is one entire day of lecturing) to keep the license current, and years of in the field experience learning while assisting those that know. These people get answers in 5 minutes.

I am not the only one that has done these things to get where I am today and I know others have had it much harder than I have. I have been lucky.