Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-29-2000, 04:17 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
RE: joint mailer ads<p>I do much the same thing as you do but on a <br>smaller scale. I form a data base of all the<br>hi end residential property transfers from<br>the pervious claendar year.<p>I then solicit 3 other non-competiave home based businees to go in on the deal.<br>I send out the small 20 cent size postcards<br>four times per season the chuck that database and start fresh next year.<p>This gives you four business card size spots<br>on the back of the postcard. Place your<br>ad in the upper left hand corner.<p>I do not do this on a large scale since my residential area is tight and<br>compact to achieve density.<p>If you can pay for the costs of the printing<br>postage and pay for your time to enter the<br>databases you get free advertising by using<br>this system.<p>I do no other form of residential advertising. In fact I<br>don't even have a name on any of my trucks<br>just the pesticide license number in <br>the smallest letters allowed by law.<p>My attitude is that there are only so many<br>GOOD accounts and I want to leave the rest <br>to divide between the lessor contractors<br>in my service area.
Old 01-29-2000, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Homer, Last year I placed an 8x11 single page flier in the newspaper and sent to 10,000 homes in the areas I wanted to target based on zip codes. Most people said they would just get lost in all the other &quot;junk&quot; but a friend gave me a tip. I had the paper insert them into the tv program rather than just loose. The idea was that at least they would take my flier out to throw it away , but have it in hand for a second. It cost me $400. The best thing is it worked!
Old 01-29-2000, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Homer I think its going to cost a lot more if you mail them because of the postage for 10k flyers is 3200 dollars. I think you forgot to consider that or maybe its cheaper im not sure.
Old 01-29-2000, 08:39 PM
Banned

I really like the idea of selling spots of advertisement. It's much cheaper, maybe even free or for profit depending on your imagination and the terms you devise. This also gives the appearance of professionalism to the customer, depending on who is chosen to be on the shared space.<p>If done properly, you shouldn't have to beg others to participate the following year. Also, if you lost an ad and had more than one besides your own, you could easily use the existing advertiser(s) as a reference. <p>I think I will experiment with this idea this year and perfect it for my situation.<p>John<p><br>
Old 01-30-2000, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Direct-mail has worked the best for me. It's also easy. I had a company mail out 15,000 out and it cost $600. I got a lot of calls. It sure beats going door to door with flyers. Imagine how long it would take you to go to 15,000 houses! Just the flyers alone (in black & white) would cost you at least $500. I got color copies, mailed, with no work for me involved for $600. This is the way to go.
Old 01-30-2000, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey, guys I go to office depot and get 1000 fliers printed up for about $26. dollars and I have a women that puts them on the doors of the high end areas of my town. Every job that I pick up I give her 50% of the first cut that I charge. This is my second year in this business in March ,and 85%of my 41 res-accounts & 90 % of my 12 commercial accounts was done this way, the rest of my business is word of mouth. I could have a lot more accounts but I pick and choose the local I want . Oh! and by the way I have a 52in lazer , & a 51in dizon & I work aloan.I gave her a 32 in tv for christmas.<br>
Old 01-31-2000, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Staples will do black and white copies (for fliers, etc.) for 2 cents a copy. That's $20 for 1000. You can get them as low as 1.8 cents a copy if you do really large quantities. About the best deal around. Don't know if Staples are in every state but they're all over the NW. <p>Jim<p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com
Old 01-19-2005, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Going to revive this thread for a bit.
Jim, on your flyers, do you just leave a standard, explanation of service with a range of rates type flyer, or do you leave a quote for each house? Also, what type of neighborhoods are you targeting (size of yard, house, etc.), and do you offer any services as stand-alone, such as fertilization?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! You brought up a thread from 4 years ago!!! I wasn't even subscribed anymore. Good thing I happened to see this... LOL.

First, I want to say that I take back everything I said above about the Yellow Pages. After 3 years of various YP ads, I pulled them alltogether. I think they are one of the worst ROI out there. I don't recommend YP ads anymore. That's just my opinion.

As for my flyers, that information is a little old as well. I did use Black and White Flyers for years and years with good success. Staples STILL makes B&W copies for about 2 cents if you buy more than 200 of them. It's their "economy rate" they call it. So you have to ask for it. Here is the one I used last - this was in about 2002 I suppose;

http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/Flyer.bmp

From that flyer, you can see how I approached the price issue. And as you can see, we list other stand-alone services that we do too.

In 2003, I had some nicer full-color flyers made up. I found out that if you get them done in mass, they cost about 7 cents each. Even though that's more than the 2 cents I was paying, I figured it was worth it for the quality I was getting. So since 2003, these are the flyers I've been using;

http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/NewFlyer.html

If you scroll down, you can see where I actually write in the price for their landscape. So each flyer has it's own customized price quote on it.

After doing this for 2 years, I am not sure I advocate it. This year, I think if we do any flyers, they will be nice, full-color, 2 sided door hangers. And I won't write in a price. I will just have them call for an estimate.

After having done it both ways, I think I found better results WITHOUT the customized estimate written right on the flyer. I think we got more calls and landed more accounts before we wrote the price on the flyers. Plus, when they have to call to find out your price, that gives you an opportunity to meet with them face to face and I always do much better in that arena. I think I'd prefer people call me and I go meet with them or at least drop off an estimate form that gives them a better idea of what they get with each package. Then, I think I'll land a higher percentage of accounts.

But I still have about 6,000 of the 10,000 color flyers I originally had made. So I don't know what I am going to do with those. We really haven't had to do much flyers the past few years.

Finally, what I said about web sites back in 2000 has come true even more than I thought. Today, we get over half of our newleads as a result of our website and other internet related marketing that I do. If you don't have a good website or you aren't marketing it, you are missing the boat.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-19-2005, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am more into commercial - I spend a day or so driving around, looking at commercial properties.
1. If the LCO doing the job is doing a good job, I stop in and give the person in charge of hiring the LCO a business card and a bid, and tell them that they have a good person doing the job, and I do not expect them to change LCO's unless the LCO they have starts slacking on quality, or unless they want something more. Then "give me a call"

2. If I have no clue as to who is doing the mowing and see a property which is being abused as to quality - "I am talking about pulling in with a 15 foot batwing mower on a big farm tractor, with no trimming" - It looks like crap before they started mowing, and it just looks like shorter crap when they are done. ---------- In this case I present an official bid as to what we can do and it includes pictures of properties we now do, as well as bid quotes. This is the best approach I have ever used.

3. In order to get the pictures of properties we do, I had to bid pretty low to get into the ball game. Now that I am there, I am selling our service.