Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2008, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely ?

What are your opinions of Gravely mowers in general, and the ZT2660HD specifically? My son is thinking about getting one at our local dealer for $4999.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely commercial mowers are really good; I think the model you mention is a homeowner model
Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, it is a homeowners model. He only wants it to mow his lawn and a large area around his shop. We looked at them today and they appear pretty solid, I just have had no experience with gravely at all.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know about that model.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Before I'd drop $5K on that model I would buy a slightly used commercial unit.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree, that is getting into commercial mower territory. Factor in resale and repairs and even a new commercial mower would be much cheaper.

Plenty of very productive commercial walk behind and compact ZTR's for that price, and I mean new ones.

But used is a better value if you shop carefully.

Example: My 21hp kawi Gravely 144z demo cost $4500 with tax and had under 100 hours on the meter (and less actual use, a kid left the ignition switch on and it kept running the meter). That's a $6000+ mower new.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
What are your opinions of Gravely mowers in general, and the ZT2660HD specifically? My son is thinking about getting one at our local dealer for $4999.
That mower is desined for your son's type of cutting.how they are in the field we dont know since there new.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely

Makes great products. May not be as popular in some markets because of the saturation of Exmark, Scag, Toro.... however, it does dominate in some markets.

Many of the municipalities around here are running Gravely 260z's that they bought from a high volume low ball dealer, but they always end up here for service. They beat the living snot out of them and it's impressive how they hold up compared to what they look like when they show up.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would pass on the homeowner Gravely mowers. I bought a 2348XLP last year and I don't think it is holding up that well. It hasn't broken in any sense, but the cut quality has just went to crap. It may have actually been bad right from the start, but I probably had "new mower" syndrome and didn't notice it at first.

I took it back to the dealer and he claimed he fixed it by sharpening the blades, but it was still the doing the same thing when I got it home. Never mind that the blades he sharpened only had a handful of hours on them when I took it to him, because I had just recently bought a new set of blades to see if that would fix the cut problem. I then contacted the technical service rep at Gravely and he sent me a new set of blades, which made the problem worse and caused the deck to make a loud rumbling sound and obviously bogged the engine down. I think they are Gators but he wouldn't tell me.

Most importantly, I think I know what the problem with it is. Despite the fact that this mower is advertised as being able to mow from 1 to 5 inches, that is completely false. The reason being, there are two bars that run across the frame towards the rear. Because of these bars, you can't lower the deck to the advertised height. Granted, nobody lowers their deck to 1 inch around here, but I noticed that even if I lower it to the 2 inch mark, the belts still rub on one of those bars. I think the belt rubbing is causing enough drag to slow the blade speed enough to give a crappy cut. But then again, the higher you cut, the worse it leaves uncut strips. So I simply can't pinpoint why it cuts so poorly.

Either way, neither the dealer nor Gravely seems to be that interested in fixing the problem. The Gravely rep did seem to help some at first. But once he asked the usual questions and sent me a new set of blades, he just didn't seem to care anymore.

I took the deck off for a good cleaning and I noticed the deck wobbles quite a bit. I know this isn't a commercial mower. But Gravely makes it seem as if this is a better deck because it is fabricated instead of stamped. But my John deere homeowner mower deck, which is stamped, doesn't wobble at all.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree gravely makes a pretty good mower. I don't stock that ZT2660 and I've yet to see that model outside of a few minutes at the Ariens/Gravely booth at EXPO. Anyone have any experience with it?