Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Top Choice Certification

A friend of mine was telling me about a certification program you can do online with Bayer concerning Top Choice. Does anyone have any idea what he's talking about? I rarely see him so I thought I'd ask here first. He said he did his over the internet but I can't find it.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not aware of any certification process other than being a commercially licensed applicator. Top Choice is available for use in the Carolinas, but not all states. The only way you can purchase it is to provide your chemical supplier with your current license, it is not available to home owners which is nice.

Go to www.nofireants.com and check it out. I use this product and have great results. I think it is awesome that such a small amount of active ingredient can pack such a punch. It is only .0143% AI !!!!!!
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 04-18-2008, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah.. I got that certification.. it's a multiple choice questioneer that basicly asks you questions based on selling points for the product.. I guess so you can sell it to your customers better... common sense crap.. Oh.. Did I mention I've never seen a fire ant in my life?

bottom line, it's a made up certification by bayer. it truely means nothing.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I am not aware of any certification process other than being a commercially licensed applicator. Top Choice is available for use in the Carolinas, but not all states. The only way you can purchase it is to provide your chemical supplier with your current license, it is not available to home owners which is nice.

Go to www.nofireants.com and check it out. I use this product and have great results. I think it is awesome that such a small amount of active ingredient can pack such a punch. It is only .0143% AI !!!!!!
Oh yeah, this is my third year using Top Choice and I'm a huge fan. Right now, the fire ant line is getting close to the Va./NC border. They've been here in Raleigh for close to ten years, I'd guess. But since they've gotten so close to Va., they've gotten worse here. Especially with the warm winters we've had recently. I did 3 or 4 customers with Top Choice in 2006. I did 7 or 8 last year and I've done 11 so far this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
Yeah.. I got that certification.. it's a multiple choice questioneer that basicly asks you questions based on selling points for the product.. I guess so you can sell it to your customers better... common sense crap.. Oh.. Did I mention I've never seen a fire ant in my life?

bottom line, it's a made up certification by bayer. it truely means nothing.
That's what I figured with the "it truly means nothing" part. But I figured if it could get me some selling points and materials through Bayer, it couldn't hurt. How did you get your certification?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you take the Bayer certification test, you can request and they will send you free marketing specialties if you request.( At least they did) Some of their materials are very good. I've got 2 or 3 boxes myself. The AI is the same thing that's in Frontline for flea control in cats and dogs. Hey Ray, come south about 3 hrs and you'll see all the Fire Ants you care to see!,better yet give them about 5 more years and they'll come see you!