Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2001, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

License Requirements in Ohio

Could someone please tell me the requirements in Ohio to expand my business into fertilizer application.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tim, you can get a lot more general info like this by a search. I went to the search button above, and searched for Ohio in the Pesticide & Fertilizer Application forum. Got 24 threads, and I bet one of these (except the first one that is yours) will have exactly what you need. If you don't want to try the search yourself, just <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=51643&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending">CLICK HERE</a>
Old 12-17-2001, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tim try the Ohio Department of Agriculture. In Illinois they (Dept. of Ag.)conduct the training and testing for the licenses.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First, call the Ohio dept. of Ag and request the study materials for category #8. Then, study hard until you know it. 8 is not too hard to pass. I am now studying for horticulture. (vegetation control is included in the hort. category, not lawn). It's tough!!!
Then, you will be given a list of locations and dates as to where to take the test. When you pass, you will need to buy pesticide liability insurance. Then a pest business licence ($100) and pay for your first year ($30).
Hopefully you have assessed equipment costs and have located a product dealer near you. (if not, shipping can be expensive)
Finally. you need customers. I wish this part was as easy as the above.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You will probably have to show proof of insurance to get license. Its 1 million in Illinois.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

as matthew stated previous, category 8 is the the licensing requirement in ohio. i would also suggest, since you shall be taking that test anyway, to get the ornmaental insect and weed control study packet( catgory 6a). this will allow you to use pesticides, and non selective herbicides as well. might as well kill two birds with one stone.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should also consider taking the test for category #5. This is Industrial Vegetation control and you will need it for spraying non-turf areas, such as gravel parking lots. ED