Register free!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you guys fill up on the route

Ok here is my question I do almost nothing but commercial accounts. It is my first year so all I have for spraying is a 200 gallon tank sprayer so my question is where do you fill up your tanks when you are out on the route to save from driving back to the shop. Most of my accounts are close to each other but are about fifteen miles from home. There are gas stations that have water facets that you can attach a garden hose but I am not sure of the stigma of mixing chemicals at a place where people are and such what are your thoughts. Most of my accounts are three acres and up and well there goes one tank. I have about 70 acres in accounts. Any help is appreciated

Matt
Old 04-19-2008, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Call the City and ask where they would prefer you to fill. Most public works depts allow it on their fill pads
Old 04-19-2008, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are gas stations OK with you filling up a 200 Gal tank? When I hydroseeded, we would fill at a lake, or river with gas powered pump. (setting up the pump took longer than filling my 650 gal tank...about 3 minutes) I'd chech with dnr first. Here in Indiana we can do that, but just across the state line in Michigan it's forbidden. You definitely get some looks! Oh, and be really carefull you don't overflow & spill!

Doesn't answer your question, but if you are doing 70 acres per round, I'd seriously look at a ride on. You'd be suprised how much time & $ you'd save in the long run

Last edited by LIBERTYLANDSCAPING; 04-19-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Go back to the shop and fill!. Check your spray callibration. If your running out entirely to soon! your rate is off!. Never, fill up outside of shop. Unprofessional!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by (wi) Roots View Post
Go back to the shop and fill!. Check your spray callibration. If your running out entirely to soon! your rate is off!. Never, fill up outside of shop. Unprofessional!
Totally agree!

You should never fill up at a customer's location. Not very professional IMO to do that!

I only fill at home!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Calibration is good; you are probably applying 1.5 gallons per thousand. Of course you could walk faster, use a smaller nozzle and less pressure and use one gal per thousand.

I have a note in my written material. We may need to fill up with water at your location, if you have any concerns about this, please let us know.

Of course, you could always add an extra 200 gal tank--they are cheap. Hope you have good tires. 100 gallons weighs 834 pounds.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I actually never thought about calling the public works in the towns that I have accounts in I will call them and find out. I will see about fill stations and such. In Lee's Summit the town that I do most of my work in that is not a problem.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I fill up at the shop now because a full tank can cover me for the day. But if you have bigger tanks or need to fill during the day, getting a water meter and using a hydrant works pretty good. That gets you back on the road quickly. Make sure you use regularly used hydrants, a tank full of rusty water sucks.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

cod8825

Fire Stations and Fire Plugs, You may have to pay a permit fee.

But IMHO it might be time for a bigger truck. Don't discount a Trailer with a larger tank set up. Or go the Z sprayer route rather than dragging hose on 70 acres.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure where ever you fill you are using a back flow device.