Register free!

Old 12-05-2001, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Subdivision entrance median designs

I am curious on some good ideas for a low maintenance (zero grass) and drought tolerant center island to a subdivision entrance. There will be no irrigation but there will be a service that weeds and waters every two weeks or so.

The only landscaping that will stay are 5 bradford pears and the sign. It is approx 17'x100' island.

Common trends? Common plants (zone 5, detroit MI area)? I have seen many that use a perimeter of crushed stone for protection etc...

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2001, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another material for inside of the curb edges that looks nice is granite cobbles, several wide. First, remember that traffic/pedestrian visability are extremely important. Don't plant shrubs that will become tall near the ends. In some areas the DOT has regulations that prohibit visual obstruction anywhere on the island. Ok, so what works? For evergreen coverage, ground cover junipers or in shady areas, Taxus baccata repandens. Some of the low-growing barberries or uva-uva ursi (bearberry) might work. (I'm in Zone 7, so I'm trying to avoid marginally hardy shrubs, but I don't know the available shrubs as well as the Northern guys.) For perennial color: daylilies, sedum, rudbeckia. That is just a few suggestions. I'm sure that there will be many more.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What Lanelle said.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking similarly. Especially the daylilies and maybe some ornamental grasses.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could also consider some Birds Nest Spruce for a variation of the Evergreen look that adds character to your designs.

For Deciduous shrubbery you might consider Dwf Cranberrybush season long greenery/fall color/non blooming, or for spring color Minuet Weigela with dark rosy pink blooms. You could also consider Blue Mist Spirea that will turn from a dark green to grayish hue with powdery blue flowers in the fall lasting right up to the first hard frost of the season.

All of these are 3' hgt and under with a hardiness of Zone 5 and colder. Hope this helps some too.

Kris