Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-06-2001, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

one year contracts

My first year i didnt have anyone on a contract now my second year is coming up and i want to put all of my mowing accounts on a one year contract my problem is that im not sure to charge the same monthly payment throuout the contract for instance - jan 1 mow/ feb 2 mows/ mar 3 mows/apr wkly/may wkly/june wkly/jul wkly/aug wkly/sep wkly/oct wkly/nov 3 mows/ dec 1 mow so do i charge the same price even though dec is only one visit also when your putting together a contract and want to include spring and fall cleanup in your full service pkg how can you esimate that into the price
Old 12-06-2001, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what you want to do. You can take the price per cut multiply it times the number of cuts and get a monthly figure. Or you can just bill per mow by the month.

I like the first way best.

Jim
Old 12-06-2001, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I base my monthly contracts on an average 3 cuts per month, year round, up to a maximun of 36 cuts per average year. Anything over 36 cuts in a year is on a per cut basis. I charge a set monthly fee, year round. It's kinda like even billing on your electric bill. This is how I do it, I'm sure others will vary.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We get around an average of 43 cuts a year here in Louisiana. I just take 43 X (whatever the charge) and divide by 12. When fall clean up comes we charge by the bag. I use 55 gal bags and we pack them full. Our charge is $7.50. I generally takes an hour to do 4, this would include the extra time to round up the debris. It comes out to less than what I would normally make on an hourly basis but atleast it makes up for the extra time that you have to pay your guys for.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On all my contracts i have the clients pay at a 12month rate,youll be happy to still be getting checks come late winter, also ive found that alot of customers don't want contracts but i still service them and they pay on time,i won't turn down good paying yds just for a contract. I service 52accounts and 34are on contract. All commercial is under contract,but some of the resident people are set in there ways,and don't want the contracts so i don't pressure them,i just keep them happy, alot are high paying jobs. You might not have a problem running into this, but i sure wouldn't trun=down good work. Marks Mowing Service
Old 12-06-2001, 06:49 PM

I charge for 32 cuts ( thats how many i usually do a year), 2 leaf cleanups, 1 spring cleanup and on some i have mulchingg and aerating, I add up the total amout of all this, divide by 12 and bill out that amout over 12 months starting 1/1 and going to 12/31. It's' the same amout every month all year
Old 12-06-2001, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A Must!

One should never do work w/out a contract. A contract is a written agreement betwen 2 parties. It protects you and the client and spells out wat is expected of/from both parties. Don't be afraid to spell ut payment terms, late fees, etc. I have one client who left me a note as follows: "Enclosed please find check for last 2 months invoices. I have deducted the late payment charge and do not want to be bothered by one in the future." The client is very good pay, but I still gave them a call and said that if th payment is received on time, then no late fee. I get charged a late fee from my suppliers if my bill is just one day late. So if I mulched their place and put suplies on credit and received payment late, but didn't collect a late payment fee, who is the loser?? ME?? I don't think so.

Sorry to ramble. Just one ofmany reasons for a contract!!

Bob
Old 12-06-2001, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you try this forum we have on here called "Elements of Business"

http://lawnsite.vbulletinhosting.com...threadid=22113

That is a topic like the one your looking for.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Sign them for a multiyear with a 5-7% increase each year.