Register free!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bermuda seed

i killed out some dove weed last fall and planted some winter rye to cover the area. Now i have killed off the rye aerated and seeded w/ common hulled bermuda seed. we have water restrictions here in west central fla. and i am watering every afternoon @ 5pm. how long before seed will pop?
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

IMHO Big mistake killing off the Rye. Summer heat will kill it. The rye would of help shade the Bermuda an hold more water in the soil. Now wind and rain can erode the soil and dry out the seed after germination. BTW by keeping the rye you could have waited until the rainy season, only an other 6 weeks or less.

Have you covered this seeding with straw yet??? Straw will help keep moisture in the soil and shady fresh germinated seed. April - May are our driest months of the year. This is not the best window of opportunity for seeding.

Expected germination depends on the seed and ground temperature. Hulled and coated Common Bermuda seed should be up in 30 days or less.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would also say at least 30 days; especially without irrigation.

By the way, do you have some type of rake or something similar you can drag across the area? I mean something powered preferably. Bermuda seed likes to be covered slightly with soil, unlike fescue that usually gets just thrown down.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties View Post
I would also say at least 30 days; especially without irrigation.

By the way, do you have some type of rake or something similar you can drag across the area? I mean something powered preferably. Bermuda seed likes to be covered slightly with soil, unlike fescue that usually gets just thrown down.
Lawn

Good point about covering the seed. Bermuda is not a desirable turf in my area and we only sod or plug. But on utility type land, Bermuda is the cheapest and best out. Generally I just over seed these area right at the start of rainy season. Bermuda has a strong resistance to Roundup and these area can be chemically mowed with watered down Roundup. As a result broad leaf weeds are also controlled. Grassy weeds are not considered a problem since this is utility turf mainly for erosion control.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try and hit the area with a bit of moisture every morning, seed that's moist and warm has a great chance of germinating. Like Ric said you're gonna need something to hold that moisture in.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i was told the rye would be too much comp. for the seed (golf guys), i have irrigation but the area covers a little bit of 2 zones(water resrictions) so every after noon at allowed time i drag out the hoses and set up temp sprinklers and run them an hour and half. i ran the aerator over the after seeding hoping the get some coverage. iwas hoping for more quicker germ time 10-14 days. i have alot of seed and will try again after the drought season ends usually june.i would like to try to disc the seed in but might have to use the burrowed pull behind aerator.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug-guy View Post
i killed out some dove weed last fall and planted some winter rye to cover the area. Now i have killed off the rye aerated and seeded w/ common hulled bermuda seed. we have water restrictions here in west central fla. and i am watering every afternoon @ 5pm. how long before seed will pop?
We roll compost over the top of seed we are trying to germinate. It helps insulate the seed from drying out and blowing around as well as help build up the soil. We water two or three times a day (usually 10 am, 2pm, and 6pm)for 2-3 minutes per zone (if its a spray zone). If your irrigation is rotor heads, then you'll need to water 8-10 minutes to get enough water to keep it moist. If the seed stays too dry, no problem becuase you can still get it to germinate. If it germinates, and then dries out, your seed is toast.

One last point, I hope your pic is from the ealry morning or evening, because that looks like a lot of shade for bermuda.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks yes it was early am that side gets more sun in afternoon